Judge’s Ruling Closes Troubled San Francisco Nightclub
SAN FRANCISCO (BCN) – A San Francisco Superior Court judge Tuesday granted a preliminary injunction that temporarily closes a Fisherman’s Wharf-area club where a fatal shooting occurred earlier this year.
City Attorney Dennis Herrera filed suit in April against the owners of Club Suede, located at 383 Bay St., seeking to shutter it permanently.
Herrera cited not only a Feb. 7 shooting outside the club that left a 19-year-old Richmond man, Lawon Hall, dead and three others injured, but also prior acts of violence, vandalism, noise and security problems in recent years.
The club agreed to close voluntarily after the February killing, but Judge Peter Busch Tuesday granted Herrera’s motion ordering the club not to reopen until the lawsuit is resolved.
“San Francisco treasures its vibrant nightlife and the vast majority of entertainment venues that operate responsibly,” Herrera said in a statement Tuesday. “Unfortunately, Club Suede’s refusal to abide by the law has created a dangerous environment for club-goers and neighbors alike,” he said.
(© 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News contributed to this report.)