San Francisco Fleet Week Bigger This Year

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – 2010’s Fleet Week in San Francisco is being billed as the biggest in 20 years.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that the event, which begins Thursday afternoon and continues through Monday, will have six U.S. Navy ships, a Coast Guard cutter and two Canadian warships. There will also be a Vietnam-era fast patrol boat and the World War II Liberty Ship, Jeremiah O’Brien.

2009’s event had only one U.S. Navy ship. Significantly more Navy sailors and Marines are also expected to be on hand. The Blue Angels headline the daily airshow.

See images of the Blue Angels

Organizers say another new feature of Fleet Week this year is a seminar that is intended to familiarize senior officers from the Navy and Marine Corps with local disaster capabilities.

Fleet Week celebrates San Francisco’s roots as a famous Navy town and has been celebrated each year since 1981.

(© CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Tom says:

scared the bejesus out of me today!

2. John says:

The Blue Angels’ noise pollution set off car alarms & started dogs barking in my neighborhood, & scared my cat & stressed me out (I suffer from PTSD). Will it take a crash in SF, which would take out a whole ZIP Code, to stop their flyovers?

1. Mooch says:

Stop your whining John, it’s not like they fly every hour of the day! Get a life.

2. Renee says:

John, come on! One hour out of ONE DAY. Perhaps you might consider vacationing out of the area during the four days before Fleet Week. Personally I LOVE the show of patriotism!!!

3. Jim says:

Stop your complaining and get out and celebrate with other people celebrating our nation’s defense force.

4. Gary says:

Dear John, I thought I was the ONLY one who did not like these flyovers. Hooray for you and speaking up. These pilots , though trained, are seemingly fearless and immortal. what will happen, heavens forbid such a thing, but when they have an accident? It is just like the pipeline that will never leak! Very foolish of the city to allow these irresponsible events-not even to begin mentioning how expensive and wasteful.

3. George says:

HI>.Where can i get a tape of the Blue Angels show in S.F?I dont have any way of seeing the show and ZNo digital camera.Please let me know..Thanx.George

4. BIG D says: