The ‘Toons Take Over Facebook

Yogi Bear, The Smurfs and other cartoon characters, FB'ers are changing their profile pictures to bring awareness against violence to children.

PALO ALTO (CBS) Popular characters from the animated world are invading Facebook. Like the last celebrity doppelganger craze, members of the massive social networking site are replacing their profile pictures with images from their favorite childhood cartoons.

PICTURES: Favorite Cartoons

Change your profile picture to your favorite cartoon from when you were a kid,” it says on the note that is being passed around between friends. “The goal of this game is not to see a human picture on Facebook, but an invasion of childhood memories until Monday. PLAY AND PASS ALONG!

Based on trending Google searches on Friday, the new practice is picking up ground. Popular search terms include “cartoon characters from the 80s,” “Rainbow Bright,” “Smurfs,” “Ren and Stimpy,” “Rugrats, ” and “Doug.”

According to the note, the new Facebook meme has a charitable purpose.

“From now until December 7, change your profile picture to a cartoon character from your childhood. The objective of this is not to see any human faces on Facebook but an invasion of memories for the fight against Violence to Children. Remember we were kids too.”

Tell us below, will you take part?

(© 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

1. sharee says:

I change my profile pic on facebook! What fun!

2. Janet Lil says:

That’s great. So now the aware are aware. And it’s nice to see all those old cartoon characters. I was just wondering how this was going to help fight against violence towards children.

3. Toddy Cupp says:

I have been reminding my friends about every hour to change their profile to show the power of networking and speaking out against violence of not only children but all abuses…cartoons make children smile, any child who sees this will know we support them and are taking a stand against violence against them and we hope this makes a child smile with that knowledge…so here are to all the cartoon fb friends out there changing their profile…you rock

4. hannahliza pines garcia says:

5. Gavin Canoy says:

How do you change your profile pic

6. Jennifer Pilger McCoombe says:

I took part and changed mine to Santa

7. Lady Deana says:

I am doing it

8. Kissychick says:

No instead I actually did something useful and donated kids’ winter clothes (boots, snowsuits, gloves etc) and regular kids’ and women’s shoes/clothes to a local shelter for abused women and their children.

9. Damion says:

what charitable purpose does it have? there is no call to action or place to donate.

how many people are doing it because their friends are rather than for actual awareness?

What will happen after 12-6? people will move on and it will be forgotten. ask a year from now who remembers why they changed their profile to a cartoon and most will not know or say because it was fun. not real awareness.

10. Chrissy says:

Thats a pretty negative attitude Damion. Most people will remember and suppoit cause alot have been through it or know someone that has been through it.

11. JemJam says:

It has given me leverage to alleviate pressure from having personal linkage to this horrific ordeal. Sure more can and will be done, we must start somewhere,

12. kenya says:

It is believed to a set up. A post made by pedophiles to lure kids. Is this true. I hope not. It was kinda fun seeing all my friends heros. But it is this day what do ya believe.

13. Jean Pape says:

Raising awareness IS important, as on the surface it has no dollar value. Yet, I’d like to ask isn’t awareness IMPORTANT?

Coming from an abused home, I only had one prayer, my neighbor to pick up their phone and call for help.

I will keep my cartoon in hopes that some child’s neighbor WILL pick up that phone and call the police instead of shutting their blinds.
    God Bless