Fresno-Area High School Wrestler Faces Trial Over ‘Butt Drag’ Move
Get Breaking News First
Sports Fan Insider
FRESNO (AP) — The trial has been pushed back for a Central California high school wrestler charged with the sexual battery of an opponent during a practice match.
Defense lawyer Stephen Quade told the Fresno Bee that his 17-year-old client is now scheduled to go to trial on Jan. 13 in juvenile court. The trial had been set to start Thursday.
Clovis police say the boy is accused of ramming his fingers into the rectum of his opponent during a July practice, but Quade argues he used a legitimate move called the “butt drag.” Quade said the move is commonly used in wrestling.
Prosecutors had offered to dismiss the case if the teen stayed out of trouble for several months, but Quade said his client would reject the deal because he didn’t do anything wrong.
On Thursday, the judge placed a gag order on the case.
(© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)