Electric Blanket Sparked House Fire That Killed Walnut Creek Vet

WALNUT CREEK (CBS/AP) — Contra Costa Fire District officials are blaming an electric blanket for starting a fire that killed an 85-year-old World War II veteran in his Walnut Creek home.

Authorities say Keith Brooks Sr. was found dead in a second-floor bedroom after firefighters entered the smoke-filled home around 2:30 p.m. Monday.

An autopsy has determined that Brooks died from smoke inhalation.

Firefighters also found a cat dead in the home.

(© CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live