SAN FRANCISCO (BCN) — An alleged MS-13 gang member accused in the 2008 fatal shootings of a San Francisco father and two of his sons is expected to go on trial for murder in late June, prosecutors said Friday.
Edwin Ramos, 24, of El Sobrante, was arrested three days after the June 22, 2008, slayings of Tony Bologna, 48, and his sons Michael, 20, and Matthew, 16.
Assistant District Attorney Harry Dorfman said Friday that with pretrial motions planned for May, jury selection in Ramos’ trial could begin in June, and opening statements could begin later that month.
The trial is estimated to last about two months.
The Bologna family had been driving from a family picnic in Fairfield to their home in the Excelsior District when they came upon another car, allegedly driven by Ramos, at the intersection of Maynard and Congdon streets.
Two other alleged MS-13 members had been wounded in a shooting in the Mission District earlier in the day, and police have speculated that the Bolognas were mistaken for rival gang members.
A surviving son in the car testified at Ramos’ preliminary hearing in 2009 that he saw Ramos brandish a gun from inside the partly opened window of the car and begin “mugging” at them before gunshots rang out.
Ramos has told police that another man in the car fired the shots.
(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News contributed to this report.)