Man Falls To His Death From I-580 Overpass In Livermore

LIVERMORE (CBS/BCN) — A man fell or jumped to his death from an Interstate Highway 580 overpass in Livermore Saturday morning, a police sergeant said.

Witnesses reported at 9:48 a.m. that a man had fallen from the Airway Boulevard overpass onto eastbound Highway 580, Livermore police Sgt. Jim Conley said.

The man, who was in his 20s or 30s, was pronounced dead at the scene and the Alameda County coroner’s bureau responded to the area, Conley said.

There is no indication of foul play in the death, he said.

The California Highway Patrol shut down the two far right lanes on eastbound Highway 580 in the area while police investigated the death.

The lanes were reopened shortly before noon, CHP Officer Eric Anderson said.

(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Bay City News contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. MATT says:

VERY SAD… THERE IS ALWAYS TOMORROW. REMEMBER THAT. VERY SAD FOR THIS PERSON AND ALL THAT KNEW HIM

2. Brian says:

Yeah, bummer he felt he had no other way out…. R.I.P.

3. Dug says:

I would claim trip and fell, there is no fence on either side of overcrossing. Did they find a skateboard?

4. RealityCheck says:

There is nothing wrong with suicide. More people should do it. The notion that suicide is wrong is actually pretty recent. Various cultures consider it a perfectly honorable way to end personal failure. Even the Christian religion allows suicide if it serves a greater good or saves lives.

1. sss says:

I think you need to do more research on the Christian religion before spouting things off the top of your head

5. Brian says:

Well, you go first and tell us what it’s like okay?

6. maria says:

1. RealityCheck says:

“Yes you go first. I and alot of other people had to bare witness to that today it was very sad and scared the hell out of me.” – maybe you should grow a thicker skin then. It scared you? Why did it ‘scare’ you? Did you swerve to avoid hitting this fool? If you did, then you placed your life and the lives of others in jeopardy. Its a lot like swerving for a dog on the freeway.

I have seen 4 people kill themselves- gunshot wound, falling from an overpass, getting hit by vehicles on the freeway, and struck by a train. Sorry Brian, but I have not sustained a personal failure that would make me want to kill myself, have you? People forget there is a cycle of life. Guess how it ends…

1. sss says:

get some help. Your experiences HAVE obviously caused you some problems

7. Brian says:

My comment was to what seemed like your callous reply to a persons suicide, if that what it was. I’m glad you have not considered it, but no need to speak so lightly of someone else’s final solution. I know it’s an ugly world most times, but making it uglier doesn’t help. IMO.

8. Sue says:

I knew this young man and I find some of the comments made unnecessarily cruel . No one can possibly truly know another’s pain and anguish and to make such judgements merely serves to hurt the family and loved ones, and displays your own insecurites and ignorance. Yes, I’m speaking directly to you “sss”.

9. Lisa Arnolcd says:

I can’t believe how low some people can be. “SSS” obviously didn’t know him at all. This man was my sons uncle and we knew him well. His family is in complete shock and needs our support. The last thing they need right now is to see or read all these derogatory and uncalled for coments about there loved one that thet just lost. Show some respect to him and his family through this difficult time.

10. Rodney says:

Roland Iam truely sorry for your familys loss.and may your brother lou rest in peace. And may god bless you all.

11. Oscar says:

My prayer go out to you and family Roland. RIP Mijo.