Teen Changes Her Story On Fairfield Mobile Home Assault
FAIRFIELD (BCN) – A 14-year-old girl has recanted her story that she was nearly abducted earlier this month while selling magazine subscriptions door-to-door in a Fairfield mobile home park.
The girl said she was attacked from behind and shoved to the ground around 6:30 p.m. on Feb. 8 on Walters Road, Fairfield police Lt. Greg Hurlbut said.
She said a Hispanic man in his mid-20s began to drag her along the ground to his vehicle but she fought back and broke free, Hurlbut said.
Police searched the area but did not find the suspect she described as being 6 feet tall with a medium build, short dark hair, bushy eyebrows, a goatee and tattoos on his arms.
The girl said his car was a green 1990s, 4-door Honda sedan with new tires, Hurlbut said.
The girl now says she was not dragged along the ground toward a waiting car but was misunderstood in her initial statement to police, Hurlbut said.
Police are now investigating the incident as a simple assault and not an attempted abduction, Hurlbut said.
(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)