Chimney Fire Damages Napa Home

NAPA (BCN) — Napa firefighters controlled a chimney fire at a home near Earl and Behrens streets on Sunday night, a fire department spokesman said.

The one-alarm fire started in the fireplace of a two-story home about 10 p.m. Sunday, fire Capt. Carl Johnson said.

It burned insulation in the attic and was contained within about five minutes of firefighters’ arrival, Johnson said.

No major damage occurred, but the Napa Fire Department did cut out part of the ceiling while battling the blaze, according to Johnson.

The older house was built using a process called lath and plaster, which has since been replaced largely by drywall, Johnson said.

The antiquated building style made the home more susceptible to heat coming through holes in the mortar and brick of the chimney, according to Johnson.

 

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live