Other Contra Costa Schools Spared From Closure, For Now
CONCORD (KCBS) – The Mount Diablo School District in Contra Costa County has voted to not close any more schools, but fiscal challenges remain.
The district earlier voted to close Glenbrook Middle School and Holbrook Elementary, but on a unanimous vote, the board followed the superintendent recommendation to not close any more schools.
KCBS’ Margie Shafer Reports:
“We’re going to ensure a quality education no matter what,” said Assistant Director of Student Services Margaret Norris. “We say that these are our families, and these are our students, so we’re going to pull through this together.”
Hundreds turned out to rally to save the schools.
“We just need closure at this point, after four months, we just need to get on with life,” said Tracy Rivas, a teacher at Silverwood Elementary, which had been on the chopping block. “I’m also a parent there. My daughter is a second grader, and I own a home a block away, so I am affected threefold: it’s my job, my child’s school, and my home values.”
Although the schools are safe for now, the district still faces challenges. Unions head back to the bargaining table Thursday, and the board could revisit school closures if tax extensions proposed by Gov. Jerry Brown are not approved by voters.
(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)