Manteca Man Accused Of Driving With Wife On Hood Arraigned

MANTECA (CBS / AP) — A Central Valley man charged with attempted murder after authorities say he drove nearly 40 miles with his wife clinging to the hood of his minivan had a rather bizarre initial court appearance.

When Christopher Carroll appeared in a San Joaquin County courtroom Thursday, he refused the help of a public defender, then told the judge that he was guilty.

“I did that to my wife, I did that to my wife,” Carroll said.

After Carroll confessed in court, the judge told him his charges carry life in prison.

“I’ve refused counsel already,” said Carroll. “I just want to tell the truth.”

The 36-year Carroll is being held without bail on charges of attempted murder, kidnapping and domestic assault after authorities said he drove from Manteca to Pleasanton Saturday with his wife clinging to a windshield wiper and side mirror. The woman, whose name has not been released, suffered hypothermia.

Police said Carroll’s bizarre behavior began the day before the attack when police arrested him for trying to swim in his dumpster. Carroll also told police that he wanted to commit suicide.

“His behavior was abnormal, we’re thinking drugs or alcohol was involved,” said Officer Rex Osborn of the Manteca Police Department.

Following that incident, Carroll was taken to jail and then released.

San Joaquin County Superior Court Judge Ron Northup transferred the case to a Stockton court for further arraignment.

Carroll is being held without bail.

(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. mscott says:

oh the central valley is a lovely place. nice grammar from the pig too.

2. Biker says:

It’s against the law to swim in your own dumpster?

Well I guess I’ve got to break the bad news to the family that we won’t be getting that pool after all. lol

3. JBlevins says:

Deport that crazy guy; he’s obviously here illegally.
    We now have to pay for his incarceration.
    Dump his butt back to England, Germany, Poland or wherever his sorry butt came from.

4. chunter says:

What is th world coming to!!!! The man obviously needs counseling of some kind crazy does not even cover the magitude of this incident.

5. Dawg says:

And I just installed a diving board on my dumpster, but if it’s illegal I guess I’ll have to remove it….bummer.

6. zinn21 says:

This is one of those stories that could have easily ended in the woman’s death. She is very lucky to be alive. Regarding the suspect, I saw him on TV last night and he appeared to be paranoid schizophrenic..

7. sammy says:

Dumpster diving is now illegal

8. Again and Again says:

Sometimes they need this kind of treatment. Reality Check!