Contra Costa Prosecutors To Drop Cases In Drug Probe

MARTINEZ (CBS / AP) — Contra Costa County prosecutors say they plan to dismiss about a dozen cases involving arrests made by the former head of a drug task force under investigation.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Harold Jewett said Thursday about 40 cases are being reviewed in which Norman Wielsch, the former commander of the state’s now-suspended Central Contra Costa Narcotics Enforcement team, played an active role.

The Contra Costa Times reports that Jewett said about a third of those are likely to be dismissed because of Wielsch’s involvement.

Wielsch and private investigator Christopher Butler were arrested last month on drug charges. Both out on bail after pleading not guilty to 28 counts alleging they sold drugs stolen from a county evidence room and drug task force seizures.

Another former officer arrested and also out on bail has yet to be charged.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)

  • Mark

    Who watches the watchers? When you can’t trust the police there is no law.

  • Lilian

    B681dm Cool! That’s a clever way of looking at it!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Guide To The Holidays
Shine A Light On The Holiday Season With ‘Giving Tuesday’

Listen Live