San Pablo Issues Emergency Declaration Following Landslide
SAN PABLO (CBS SF) — The city of San Pablo issued an emergency declaration Sunday afternoon as mud continued creeping closer to homes following a landslide earlier this week.
The declaration was issued at 2 p.m.
“Soil is still moving, but the structures are still sound,”
KCBS’ Holly Quan Reports:
Assistant City Manager Kelsey Worthy said Sunday morning. “They are not showing any addition signs of stress or cracking.”
The landslide was reported Thursday afternoon behind homes in the 5900 block of Wyman Street and the 5900 block of Hillcrest Road, he said.
Three homes on Hillcrest Road and Wyman Street have been yellow tagged, meaning they can only be accessed on a limited basis during the day. At least two people and no more than three are allowed in the homes at one time. No one can spend the night inside, he said.
They were tagged due to the danger of fallen trees and mud intrusion. The city has dispatched a crew to alleviate the threat of large trees that are continuing to lean toward the homes.
The Contra Costa Fire Protection District has shut off gas lines to homes located at 5950 and 5962 Hillcrest Road as a precautionary measure.
It’s raining less Sunday in San Pablo, which has city officials hopeful.
“Any letup in the rain is welcome. That is the issue right now – the soil needs to dry out and stop advancing down the hill,” Worthy said.
No injuries have been reported.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)