Toddler Found Wandering Alone In Pleasanton Parking Lot

PLEASANTON (CBS SF) – A young child was reunited with his mother after he was found wandering alone in the parking lot of a Walmart in Pleasanton early Thursday morning. Police said the boy had opened the door of his locked apartment overnight and had walked out.

A manager at the Walmart, located at 4501 Rosewood Drive, had stepped outside to take a break at about 3 a.m. and found the boy in the parking lot, barefoot and wearing only a white T-shirt and a diaper, police Sgt. Maria Munayer said.

Officers searched the surrounding area but could not locate the child’s parents or guardian.  The boy was then taken to the Child Protective Services intake center, Munayer said.

Meanwhile, the boy’s mother had called 911 to report her son missing from their apartment in the Archstone Hacienda complex across Owens Dr., a six-lane street with a center median.  The boy had managed to open the deadbolt lock on the family’s front door overnight and had wandered out, according to Munayer.

Munayer said the front door was built to Americans with Disabilities Act standards to accommodate people in a wheelchair. Pulling on the door handle automatically unlocks the deadbolt lock.

“It would have been pretty easy for the child to have gone out the front door because the apartment is ADA compliant, meaning that the door handle is positioned very low on the door,” she said.

The child was uninjured and is in “very good spirits,” Munayer said.

The unidentified mother and son were reunited at the police station around 6:30 a.m.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Timmmay says:

It is well known that there is a “Safe Haven” law – nation wide. The safe haven law allows mothers to drop their babies or children off at any hospital Emergency Room, EMT personnel, or medical clinic – no questions asked, no responsibilities nor held liable, and the woman will NEVER be charged. The child’s father will NEVER be contacted to further benefit his child, yet still held responsible to pay child support to the State/Federal, and the child will be put in for adoption.

As for the save haven laws; extremely bias and spawns further bigotry due to partial and ill treatment of both parents – a child is yet still abandoned probably by the mother, and I feel sorry for the Walmart staff having to deal with this predicament simply due to poor parenting. This is yet another valid reason for courts and child services to involve fathers in their child’s lives verses fathers being pushed out to the extreme far margins of their flesh and blood.

1. tami says:

he got out on his own. nobody abandoned him.
      u clearly read the first sentence only.

1. Timmmay says:

I read the initial article when it first came out. We now have read the updated article, thanks.

2. poogymom says:

This child had been abandoned a long time before he got out to go looking for his mother at WalMart at 3 a.m. What kind of children have to go looking for their mommy at 3 a.m.? Here’s one Great Big Clue you missed….Look at his picture above and explain to me why his eyes are dilating when a bright light is in his face. Somebody abandoned him, Tami.

2. Dixie says:

If you read the article, the child was not abandoned, he opened the front door and wandered out and was reunited with his mother. Also in California the Safe Haven Law applies only to infants within 72 hours of birth.

1. Timmmay says:

Again, I mentioned that I read the 1st article that was ever displayed. I am very thankful the toddler is doing ok now. Thank God.

3. ccc says:

wow! What sent you over the edge. The poor little guy just did something a lot of little toddlers do. That is why most parents get another higher lock on the font door. I’m sure the mother will be going out and getting another lock for the door. Accidents happen. Just thank goodness the child was returned safely.

4. Jaja Sa says:

@ Timmay, think before you speak. But then again maybe you are just so perfect in all you do that you win the greatest parent award every year? you know everything about everybody and judge so quickly. You have more sympathy for the Wal-Mart worker ( who was probably smoking a cigarette) than for the mother who woke up to her child gone, she called 911 dopey, if she didn’t want or care about her child she would never have called them.
      No one is perfect TIMMAY, not even you with your bigotry ways.

1. Timmmay says:

(NOTE: I read this article when it first came out, which everything was vaguely explained. Thanks.)

To what’s inaname, Sue Bridges, Gloria, and Eileen. First off, even though the SAFE HAVEN law states “newborns and less than one week old’s”, the mother is still off the hook even if the baby is older. I’ve been an EMT for over 12 years, and have experienced & heard of mom’s using the ‘Safe Haven’. Again, the mom is never charged regardless. The father is NOT considered priority/vital for contact; instead child protective services. The mother is the first to be contacted, then child protection. But usually in these cases, the mother cannot be reached….I wonder why? Though I’ve witnessed law enforcement refusing the charge the mother for doing so – even with an older child; such as 12 years old. I’m against abortion in most cases, so perhaps this is better than the two evils.

Child support enforcement agencies (CSEA) has full use to track, contact, the “father” via SSN, occupation, credit history, garnishment, and the list goes on. CSEA also goes by what the woman tells them – which spawns paternity fraud in many cases. Fathers are then default criminalized, jailed, and driver license revoked if in CS arrearages of only $500. – due to Sen. Dianne Feinstein & Nancy Pelosci. Yet, non-custodial mothers have never been subjected, penalized, nor sought for CS arrearages. But when found, the non-custodial mother is often ordered to pay back-payments “IF” pursued, but nothing more. If there is ever a woman who is “charged” for arrearages in CS, I guarantee it is because the mother is dealing with multiple criminal offenses, and not just CS. In many cases, the mother is NOT charged with child abuse/neglect when it occurs, but rather only investigated. If the investigation comes back positive, then the children are simply removed and placed in foster home – again, the father is NOT contacted. The ONLY time a mother is charged with child abuse/neglect – is when PROSECUTED & Convicted. However, the father is ultimately charged on a mere allegation without due process. Nonetheless, fathers are looked at as non-essential, and incompetent to parent. Despite such bias and gender profiling, the Dept. of Center for Disease Control and Prevention shows peer reviewed research: over 20 years, women acting alone are 2/3rds perpetrators of child abuse/neglect & murder. 2nd highest is mom’s live-in boyfriend. Eileen complains “why is everyone so hard on the mother”? I ask why are children being swept under the rug and hurt? I also ask why aren’t women being held accountable?

For the record, I am a single parent for over 9 years. I can easily relate to the challenges of being a single parent. However, I don’t claim to know everything in my short 38 years on this earth. But I DO know that the gender profiling, bias, and misinformation is prevalent in all Western cultures.

5. Richard says:

you’re an idiot

1. Timmmay says:

Typical of a mangina to stoop to name calling and fragment credible expression. Thanks Richard.

2. > says:

I think Timmmay needs to get a life, way too much time on the computer.

3. Timmmay says:

Oh lets see…A life. Yes, I have a life. Since you mentioned, however, I’m a full time student/alumni @ Capella University with 1 year to go; 3.7 GPA. Specializing in Business: Health Care Management. Full time single parent, and I also work full time. I’m also a permanently disabled veteran – combat related, of nearly 10 years of service in US Army AD. I’ve been in the medical field for over 12 years. Oh, I most certainly have a life, Richard. Due to my disability, I am however limited on what I can do. Though I know it is certain I’ve seen and already done more than most to which would make you scared and run the other way. I’ve walked the talk and made circles around you in comparison of who needs to get a life.

Pat’s Richard on the head, “its okay, someday you too will learn not to listen to feminist ideologue professors, nor let your wife slap you around or tell you what to do”.

2. Gloria says:

I agree with what you say, but you also need to realize there are fathers out there who just don’t bother with their children, and yes I know what I’m talking about because my ex-husband is one of those. I used to call him and try to get him involved with his son but he only wanted him when he was seeing his parents on holidays. As for the mother, “IF” she was the one who left him, she should have dropped him off in a safe place, at the same time be responsible and take care of your own child. I raised mine on my own and did a good job of it too. It’s not easy but c’mon folks you bring these children into the world, do the right thing. My heart goes out to this poor little guy. I hope the parents think about this and try to correct it. Everybody desreves a second chance. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

1. Timmmay says:

In many cases, the mother forces the father out. Yes, there are times when the father walks out, and sadly so. In lue of fathers walking out…how many mothers get abortions or find babies in the dumpster/trash/toilets? Each year there are millions of cases backed by credible evidence/fact. I myself, and many other fathers do care/love and would give our lives for our children. As the fathers, brothers, uncles, husbands, etc… have proven this time and time again fighting for the lives and freedoms of our country – by the millions.

Is it possible your ex/the kid’s father is re-married or involved with a woman? It may be that he is trying to please his wife/woman as she doesn’t want to “deal” with his kids from another marriage – but wanting her own family? This happens a lot, actually.

Another thing is… my true experience: I was in the military, my wife went crazy (short version), and I was NOT able to just up and leave to see my kiddo without putting in for LEAVE – due to the cost and travels. I applied for LEAVE a couple of times, only to be denied. I still tried and eventually got to. But in the meantime, his mom told everyone that I didn’t give a @#$% about our child – amongst other complete fabricated lies. When I actually went to see my kid, she took off with him just so I couldn’t visit with him. My son was only 3 years old at the time. It hurt like hell. Piece of my heart just torn not being able to at least see my kid. And no, I never cheated – though she did while I had to go overseas in a combat zone, nor hurt her nor my son in any way.

I hope he does realize of the blessings he is loosing out by not being an active role in his child’s life.

2. Timmmay says:

Thank you Gloria for sharing with me about your ex. I hope he realizes the blessings he is loosing out by not being an active role in his child’s life. Not to mention how he is hurting his child by NOT being there – in the long run.

I’m glad the little toddler and his parents re-united, the kiddo is safe once again. Thank God!

3. Shaka says:

It is heartbreaking to think a little boy could be alone, scared and wandering by himslef in the middle of the night. He’s just a baby and must have been very scared. I think of how my babies would feel alone like that.

4. sue bridges says:

Timmmmy and gloria. Did you even read the damn article or you just like to ramble due to feeling guilty for your past or have a huge ego and think you have all the answers. Know where does it say she dropped the kid off in fact she had called 911.

1. tami says:

no they are those kind of people who know nothing yet has something to say about everything.
      they clearly didnt read past the first sentence.

1. Timmmay says:

Again….. I read the very first article that came out. Now we all have read the updated version to the article. Thanks.

2. ccc says:

I just don’t understand gloria and timmmay, Why are they going on and on about safe havens and all the other nonsense. I think when you chose to read something you should read the whole article. Then think about what you want to write then write it, but please make sure you reread what you just wrote, so you don’t come off like a moron. Which both these two seem like. The lady didn’t open the door for her child and say oh honey go outside and play. She was sleeping and the child being like a regular toddler decided to go exploring. I can say with the utmost confidence that she will hopefully get another lock, and attach a bell to the child. Also the fact that this happened at night. It wasn’t like it was the middle of the day and she was napping or passed out drunk and the child got out. Things happened and I am sure she wont let it happen again. This poor lady. Why must people think the worst.

1. Timmmay says:

My post was made during the initial article. Now, we have all read the updated article. Thanks.

5. Eileen says:

The mother reported the child missing. . .the mother did not abandoned the child. Why is everyone so hard on the mother.

The child was scared; so was the mother.

6. Anupam says:

I believe there is an update to this earlier story. The toddler aparently opened the house door (which was low) and walked out. Theyir house was near walmart store. The mother placed a missng son call and the police reunited them.

7. what'sinaname says:

My 2-yr old let herself out the front door while I was in the shower. I found her while she was still in my yard. It does happen without fault or blame.
    The “Safe Haven Law” that Timmay refers to pertains to newborns less than one WEEK old. Also, he contradicts himself, “father will NEVER be contacted…yet will have to pay” how does he pay if he’s not contacted?
    Many, many men are loving and devoted fathers, but frankly that are way too many men that just walk away, or father when it suits them or financially support their children when it fits their wishes. Look at the whole picture.

8. DeeDee says:

WTH I just don’t understand this at all, Something is really fishy about this.

9. Cheryl says:

Do you people have children? When my son was 3 he would manage to get out of the house no matter how many times we locked, dead bolted and chained the door. Some children are climbers; some are wonderers, some stay put. Short of locking my son in his room we were always looking for him. Where is he today? In the US Navy fighting for our country.

1. jkronrod says:

LOL. It’s soooo easy when you don’t have children of your own. And, of course, each child is different. I’ve got one “wanderer;” the others aren’t.

2. poogymom says:

Did your children get out and walk around at 3 a.m. with eyes that stayed dilated when bright lights were shined in their faces? LOOK AT THE PHOTO FOR PETE’S SAKE.

10. Familytime says:

Ages 2 to 5 are really difficult for parents because that’s when kids are too big to keep in cribs and not self-aware enough of the dangers of wandering away. If I didn’t have a house alarm, my son would have wandered out of the house at any time between 2 and 6 a.m. What else is a parent to do? Leash them to the bed? Then again, that would be “child abuse.” Mom here wasn’t trying to dump her child, kid just wandered away and put himself in a dangerous position. That’s why its important for people to watch out for one another. Its called “community.” Join one.

11. cl8978 says:

Props to the Mother! I would have probably not noticed until I got up for work at 530 am

1. Timmmay says:

Oh yes, praise mom! Why? Cuz she’s mom!

Not dissing anyone here… But if my child were in the habit of opening the doors? I would have a lock or chain to the top of the door… or used a child resistant plastic cover that fits over the handle. They are only a few bucks. Heck I helped a single mom do such to her door due to her toddler daughter going through a phase of opening doors.

I’m glad the lil guy is safe, and everything is once again, okay. As we praise mom, I also hope she child proofs the doors – shrugs. Go mom!

12. cl8978 says:

They do have those loud door alarms, that when the door is opened it sounds like an AIR RAID .. If I were her I would invest in one! Great Ending to the story..

13. Cookie says:

Some of these comments are worrying – taking showers and leaving a 2 year old unsupervised doesn’t sound to good, neither does 3 year olds unlocking doors.

1. ccc says:

What do you suggest we do when we need to take a shower and get ready for the day. When I go to take a shower (which I take in less than 3 mins). I turn cartoons on for my children on all the TV’s. Then I walk around the house and make sure all the doors are locked. Then I tell my 4 nd 5 yr old that if they need me, to come get me. I also tell them to never answer the door, to come get mommy. I do this every single morning. I don’t have the luxury of having another adult home, since my husband is deployed. We can only do so much, what would you suggest, tieing them up. Let me ask you this, have you ever let your young toddlers play out front while you are in the house. Let me tell you there are more parents that do that and think that’s ok. I live on a military base and it floors me with how many people let there young toddlers play out front without supervision. Thank goodness I have never had to experience any of my 4 children oening the front door and taking off. Yet it could happen to anyone. SO don’t be judgemental.

1. Timmmay says:

Hiya CCC… I’ve been there, done that. It can be CHALLENGING as a single parent. Just saying that… from experience… if my child is the “curious explorer” type, I would do my best to child proof the home. As NO human being have an innate intuition for parenting – as moms are accused of; which isn’t fair at all. Rather gut feelings, and being in-tuned to our children, and close bonding – what we go by.

Though I do feel that if the parents don’t care as much… Probabilities of problems are much more prone to occur.

14. der says:

Regardless the parents should always be alert and I question what were the parents doing at 3am in the morning that they lost track of their child. Something just doesn’t figure

1. Robert says:

Duh! Were you not thinking? The parents were asleep! Perfectly normal activity at
      3 am! The kid was supposed to be asleep! They knew where he was, in bed!!! Duh!

15. DeAndra DeeDee Pierre says:

I’m not saying that it can’t happen, I’m saying it shouldn’t have happened…THANK GOD that there wasn’t a crazy person roaming around at the same time huh! It’s called child proofing your home, If he was able to get out at that time of morning I’m pretty sure he has tried before day or night, S
    o there for the parent/parents should have known that it was time at that point to child proof the door, then maybe we wouldn’t be reading about this now…HELLLO!

1. Robert says:

@DeAndra: Perhaps you didn’t read the part about the Apt being ADA compliant and by law, you are not supposed to change the locking mechanism which is installed.

16. Robert says:

What does that have to do with this case? NOTHING! It’s never ceases to amaze me how people jump to conclusions so fast. All of a sudden this incident, which by the way was just a case of a child not knowing what he was doing, has turned into a child abuse and abandonment case! People can be pretty ignorant sometimes. They never read the whole article or just don’t absorb what they are reading.

17. Robert says:

Were you born without a brain. Let’s see! It’s 3 AM and the parents were asleep like their child was supposed to be! Duhhhh! So, what doesn’t figure. You can’t stay awake 24-7 to be sure your child stays in bed the whole night!!!! You should think before you comment!

18. common sense says:

LOL freakin democrats there the ones who pass safe haven laws & ADA laws that while helping people also allow things like this to happen. The mother did nothing wrong from what the article says but who knows really leave it to the police to decide & a judge to judge not you. Toddlers will get into everything the world is wide open big exciting and they dont know the evils you did it once I’m sure & probably gave your mother a heartache like this one.

1. Timmmay says:

What a blessing to be an “Independent” voter. I tend not to leave it up to judges and police – as they are trained to only believe the Duluth model & VAWA.

19. Timmmay says:

1. ccc says:

How is anything that is coming out of your mouth relavant with this story. I think you have been wronged in some way and just want to vent. Yet you should find another way or someone else to vent to. This is a story of a little toddler getting out in the middle of the night while his mommy slept. I think maybe you have your stories mixed up.

1. Timmmay says:

No, I was responding to several other people’s comments. Not venting. Simply answering their remarks/comments….. Just as I have yours just now. Thanks.

2. Timmmay says:

If a mother had complained about being wronged – which many do. Would she be accused of embitterment? Or have the liberty to express herself without discrimination? People would ultimately feel she is entitled to speak up. Thanks.

20. common sense says:

LOL everyone’s an expert on law & parenting & everything else it seems no wonder we have obama in the white house democrats in the senate & the world falling apart with no one leading just golfing & vactioning. I know these apartments & the street at 3 am there’s no traffic and as many point out the locks were ADA complinent.

1. Timmmay says:

If you are referring to me? As stated, I’m no expert, but I’ve made phone calls, researched, and petitioned State officials. I’ve done my homework. I don’t take the liberal approach and just assume & think I know it all. Nor am I an expert on parenting. I will say that I’m very blessed as I’ve a very well mannered child – whom is excelling in school, and I’ve watched over him like a hawk when he was little – even when exhausted, working full 40’s w/OT. In addition of working night shift for 3 years.

1. ccc says:

wow, why are you explaining your whole life. People are upset with you because you seem to be very long winded. Your first comment was way off the mark, and had nothing to do with the child and mother. You aren’t the only parent that works. I’m a mother of 4 , 2 teenagers, and 2 toddlers, and a husband that is deployed. You seem to be asking for someone to give you a break. No one cares about the research you did or are doing. We all just wanted to to wish the mother and child well. Why can’t you just see it was an accident and stuff happens. What is a mother to do after she puts the child to bed, and shuts his door, and goes to bed herself. Is she supposed to sleep in the room with the child. I am sure the little boy will never do what he did ever again. You need to give yourself a break. Sit down with a cup of coffee and relax.

2. Timmmay says:

Umm.. aren’t other parents within this comment forum expressing their real life experiences in dealing with their children – or as you put it “whole life”? Take a look. Am I not allowed to talk about my experiences as a parent? I’m quite relaxed. Thanks.

21. tn says:

Stay within the confines of the article! Some of you are too quick to judge (based on either your own experiences,uninformed judgement or imagination). This IS an amazing positive article with a wonderful outcome. Take it for what it is, appreciate what and who you have, and learn from it.

1. Timmmay says:

Again…. I read this article when it first came out. We all have read the updated version. Thanks.

22. tn says:

And…would your feelings or intuition tell you differently, if the photo of the child were White, Hispanic or Asian? (and funny how “auto spell” software highlights Hispanic and Asian, but not white?). Truly, it doesn’t and shouldn’t matter. If it does and you still point your finger, remember- there are 3 more fingers pointing back at you.

1. Timmmay says:

I’m guessing you are referring to me? If so…

The ethnicity of the child has no barring. A child is a child, just as a human being is just that. Two of my greatest friends are black whom I served side-by-side in combat. Another few good friends of mine: 1 Samoan whom is one brawny dude that nobody messes with! 2 Asian guys who are hilarious and can turn a frown upside down in minutes! 2 Hispanic buds of mine who attempted to teach us how to “flirt with women” – which is too hilarious to mention the results.

2. poogymom says:

tn…the photo shows a baby with dilated eyes when a bright light is in its face..get it yet? Take your pick on the skin color…these children come in all shapes, sizes, race, but they all have one similar background characteristic in common…Mommy has a problem. A big problem. An expensive problem. A problem that she forces her children to have to live with. Are you awake yet?
      Let’s see how long it takes you. One, one thousand, Two, one thousand, Three…and still counting. A lot of slow people here, gang.

23. Always Grateful says:

What a great story. Little boy and his Mother must have angels looking out for them.🙂

24. The Truth says:

Glad mother and son are together again! He woke up and wanted french fries so he went to find some,the only problem is,is that he forgot to wake up his mommy..this was something that just happened.Do not blame his mother,she called 911 when she discovered her son missing.Read the story,watch the news before you so easily pass judgement!!!God Bless them both!

1. poogymom says:

What do your eyes do when lights are shined in your face? Why, in your wildest imagination, would this little boy’s eyes be dilated? Look at the photo.
      How long did it take the police to get to WalMart, then search for the mother, then for the call to Social Services, and then for their worker to show up? Minutes or Hours? First, do you know for a fact the child was asleep in the house..or could he have been asleep in the car? Was his diaper dirty and was he raw from not having been changed for a long time? Again, why were his eyes dilated? Why was he out looking for her at 3 a.m.? Why would his days and nights be mixed up? The answer is obvious to me, a former Social Worker that retrieved these poor kids, to the Police, and to anyone else with a brain.

1. poogymom says:

An NBC report says the mother called 911 at around 6 a.m.–and the WalMart employee discovered him at 3 a.m. so the child was wandering around outside prior to 3 a.m. It also reported no criminal charges had been filed and that she had requested an additional lock on the door from management. Authorities are not rushing to file charges, however you need to know that this is an indicator itself. Requesting a different lock means she knew there could be a problem and failed to act on it herself when she had means to do so. This incident is being calmed because it involves other issues. If an arrest is planned to take place on more serious issues, these charges would be stalled to avoid interfering with the larger case. Again…why are the little boy’s eyes dilated? Notice the wound on his face in the deep area? Surface wounds in bumps and falls appear on noses, foreheads, chins, and cheeks. This wound looks like a burn. Mom does NOT get my sympathy until she earns it. Every indicator is present that this child needs your help folks, not your excuses.

25. Keith says:

ToTimmmay: You really might want to consider you have a few issues. Why the tangent on just about everything in life. Yes you read the article when it first came out, but even after you read the full article you’re still on a tangent. Let it go and get back to your school work. Oh, and don’t assume because I’m letting you know you might have a few issues that you’ve gone through more in your life than me. Get some help and let it go. The baby was reunited with his mom and the whole incident has a happy ending with no foul play involved. Period