SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – Fire crews Thursday broke down the door to a burning home in San Francisco’s Visitacion Valley neighborhood and rescued a man who was sleeping when the blaze started in the kitchen.

Firefighters responded to reports of a fire inside a two-story, single-family wooden house on 218 Teddy Ave. at about 10:15 p.m., fire spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.

The man was apparently asleep in an upstairs bedroom when the blaze started, and neighbors who smelled smoke called the fire department, Talmadge said.

“He had been cooking, left food on the stove, and went to sleep,” she said. “This was definitely a good save.”

Responding crews broke down the man’s door and retrieved him from the house. He only suffered minor smoke inhalation injuries, and the fire was contained to the kitchen, Talmadge said.

No one else was injured by the fire.

A damage estimate wasn’t immediately available, and it was unclear if the house had properly working smoke detectors.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE