Database Of Animal Abusers Proposed In San Francisco

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) – Efforts were underway in San Francisco to create a database of those who have abused animals.  The proposal was to be presented to the Animal Care and Control commission Thursday.

Animal care attendant Sandra Bernal says its very difficult for her to see animals in pain because of the actions of others.

“I’ve seen people starve animals, kick them, or neglect them,” said Bernal.

KCBS’ Margie Shafer Reports:

It’s her experience taking care of these abused animals that led Bernal to push for extended record-keeping so that those who have mistreated animals won’t get the chance to do it again.

“I want to create a database that involves names of the people that have been convicted of animal abuse, and also of the people who have not been convicted because there was not enough evidence to prosecute them, along with people who have neglected animals in the past,” said Bernal.

The information would be solely used by San Francisco rescue groups, non-profits and city shelters, with an eye toward going statewide in the future.

(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

More from Margie Shafer
Comments

1. Kodiax says:

works for me. people who abuse animals are despicable.

2. Leon says:

I think there should be a database for every violent crime. One for Animal Abuse, one for Robberies, one for Child Abuse, and one for Selling Drugs.

3. dantsea says:

So she wants a database filled with people who’ve been accused of doing things that haven’t been proven or supported by fact, so she can judge them. Proof positive that animal rescue operators, though while very well intentioned, are basically nutcases.

4. david says:

A national database already exists – http://www.pet-abuse.com. It would make more sense if they worked with the existing systems and piped their information through there rather than starting from scratch and fragmenting data. Criminals move to different cities, states or even countries. Having a city-specific database doesn’t really help as much as including SF data in a larger database.

5. sadpanda says:

It’s people like you who make it even more of a challenge to those of us who try and provide for our animal friends. Being concerned does not a ‘nutcase’–as you so ignorantly put it–make. I’m sure this is not going to target random people but rather include those who have shown all the obvious signs of abuse and neglect and were just never prosecuted for one reason or another in our flawless legal system. Calm down. If you’re not going to help our furry friends who cannot help themselves, then at least shut up so those of us who will can do so without any ridiculous stigma.

1. dantsea says:

@sadpanda – If you’re going to use American government institutions to create an offender’s registry, then you have to abide by the rules of the American government system. A major one is that we don’t treat people who have not been proven of wrongdoing like criminals. It’s a basic civics lesson and if you believe that suspending or ignoring it is okay because it suits the needs of your cause, then you are, in fact, a nutcase. But I’m certain you’d fit right in with the Teabag crowd, and they do seem to be the majority these days.

6. Tours Martel says:

Whether our animal “rights” friends want to admit it or not, there is a serious civil rights issue here. I too detest the abuse of animals, but, given the nature of the current animal “rights” movement, I doubt their ability to operate such a database without provoking a massive wave of litigation. I could foresee being included in such a database people who like to barbeque. Rational thought is not a current San Francisco treat.

7. Guille says:

I hope it get done I live in San Jose and used to live in a duplex the guy next door did starve his dog let him in the burning sun with no water eventually he kill his dog and buried him in the front yard some time later he got another one and from what I learned is doing almost the same thing I reported the dog barking for hours but animal control did not much about it so I really hope that kind of people get what they deserve

8. kunde says:

Lots of excellent reading here, thank you! I was searching on yahoo when I discovered your post, I’m going to add your feed to Google Reader, I look forward to much more from you.