SAN BRUNO (CBS / AP) — An off-duty company mechanic helped battle last year’s deadly, gas-fueled inferno in San Bruno by responding on his own before Pacific Gas & Electric Co. officials recognized one of their pipelines had exploded, federal documents show.

Veteran corrosion mechanic Michael Hickey assembled an ad-hoc team of colleagues, then shut down two valves on the ruptured line, halting the flow of gas stoking the fire, according to National Transportation Safety Board documents released Thursday.

Photo Gallery: San Bruno Pipeline Explosion

Hickey had just finished dinner when he heard on the news that a plane crash had erupted in flames in San Bruno, but quickly recognized that a gas pipeline had burst, the mechanic told investigators.

“In my heart, I knew that was something. Not a plane crash,” he is quoted in the documents as saying. “I proceeded to my car, to head to work, to get my truck.”

Hickey and a colleague hopped in the company pickup and drove through rush-hour traffic to reach the scene, where he screwed down the first valve with a wrench, as a supervisor called in their progress to headquarters. Then Hickey determined they should speed to a second site to shut off the second valve downstream.

After the 44-year-old transmission line blew on the evening of Sept. 9, eight people died, dozens were injured, and 38 homes overlooking the San Francisco Bay were destroyed by fire.

The NTSB has yet to determine a cause, but said in its initial investigation findings that the fire that raged for an hour and 40 minutes after the initial blast would have burned out much sooner had automatic shut-off valves been in place.

If PG&E were able to close its valves on the line immediately after the initial explosion, the gas-fed fire likely would have gone out in under 10 minutes, said Theo Theofanous, a chemical engineer at the University of California, Santa Barbara who directs its Center for Risk Studies and Safety.

Evidence released to date leaves it unclear if any of the deaths could have been avoided had automatic or remotely operated valves been in place. But experts said it was possible — and that others who were injured and homes that were leveled might have been spared.

“Obviously, they were scrambling and they were not prepared,” Theofanous said.

PG&E spokesman Joe Molica said the company was fully cooperating with the investigation in allowing its current and former employees to be interviewed, but did not comment specifically on Hickey’s actions.

“PG&E’s overriding objective from the outset of the NTSB investigation has been to help the NTSB identify the root cause of the accident,” Molica said.

Debbie Mazzanti, a representative for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 1245, said Hickey and several other longstanding PG&E workers who helped to shut down the valves that evening acted like “heroes”.

“These people fell into action and did what needed to be done,” Mazzanti said. “They didn’t wait for a call from a supervisor. They knew there were valves there and did everything they could to shut them down.”

In the wake of San Bruno, the California Public Utilities Commission has begun crafting new pipeline safety regulations, and federal transportation officials have pressed for pipeline companies to speed up efforts to repair and replace aging oil and gas lines.

Thursday, the state commission approved a plan that requires PG&E to update officials on crucial safety work done on its natural gas pipelines over the next three years.

PG&E will be required to file semi-annual reports showing which pipelines the company is replacing and which lines are most high risk, and also will have to spell out its justifications for its annual budgets and strategic plans.

The company has launched some initiatives to strengthen the management of its natural gas system, but could face fines if it cannot produce documents proving that its high-pressure transmission lines have been operating safely.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)

Comments (2)
  1. Foxy1 says:

    Thank you to Michael Hickey and his colleagues for their quick action. You did the right thing. PG&E should of had workers like you answering the phones and in the Milpitas station when the power failed a few hours before the explosion.
    You should be honered, if not publicly, you are honored in many hearts.

    I just wish the main PGE contacts that were talking to the news crews knew they had lines there also. What would make any PG&E employee think they did not have gas lines in a residential & commercial area? ON it’s face, it was absurd.

  2. Ken says:

    The union brotherhood doing their best to cover for the inferior work done by their own. There is plenty of blame to go around. Accept it, fix it and move on.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
LIVE: Monday through Friday from 3am – 3pm PST

Watch & Listen LIVE