San Jose Pedestrian Killed In Hit-And-Run Accident, Driver Arrested

SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — A 28-year-old San Jose woman is in custody Sunday afternoon after she apparently drove away from striking and killing an elderly woman in an intersection in the city earlier Sunday morning, police said.

The suspect was driving a tan-colored sport utility vehicle when she ran into a parked black Honda Civic near Blossom Hill Road and Snell Avenue about 9:45 a.m., San Jose police Officer Jose Garcia said.

The woman was attempting to drive away from the crash when she hit an elderly woman in the 400 block of Roading Drive, Garcia said. The suspect lost control of the vehicle and also struck a house before driving away from the scene, leaving the victim in the street.

The victim was taken to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.

Her identity has not been released.

The suspect then struck a second black Honda parked in the 5000 block of Bridle Way, Garcia said.

The driver and three passengers were seen getting out of the SUV and attempting to flee on foot.

The four suspects were taken into custody by police, who are continuing to investigate the series of crashes.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)

1. Kevin says:

The real question is, how do you run into two parked cars? Where did she learn to drive, mario kart? Condolences to the family of the elder.. RIP.

1. Savannagh says:

probably drunk or high. Makes me sick

1. Georgia Fruits says:

Live around the corner from the crime scene……yes they where intoxicated……..yes this is sick……..god bless the family and friends of the deceased…….RIP…… will get justice

2. Al says:

I live in the area and if you see how people drive around here?!?!? It seem like they are all stuck on stoopid! The state of Califonia hands out licenses to almost any mouth breather. They need to make testing and training more stringent. ood example is Germany.

2. Mark says:

Two cars, a pedestrian, and a house? Lock her up and PLEASE take away ALL the keys.

3. c.t. says:

She was my neighbor. She loved taking care of her flowers & yard, and a wonderful person. Driver was said to be intoxicated … this early in the day!! Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

4. David says:

I drove by the house shortly after the accident. The news report isn’t entirely accurate, but that image is forever burned in my memory. Very tragic. I could not find anything else on this story on the 5:00 O’clock news. Intoxicated driver and 3 passengers at 9:45 AM? Really? Unreal.

5. lisa says:

Is it just me or does anyone else think that there are more bad (or worse) drivers than ever before here in California since the last decade? I don’t think I’ve heard so many car accidents and deaths on the radio and news in my life! I hear and read so many auto accidents every single day! We really do need stricter testing and background checks for a drivers license.

6. William Patrick Mosely says:

I’ve not been behind the wheel of a car in twelve years. The DMV supended my driving privleges following a stroke. I know I could get reinstated, but the thought of a recurring stroke tells me I will place every driver and passenger in harm’s way. I couldn’t bear the thought of being responsible for the injury or death of innocent people. Today I take MUNI. That’s where I belong, public transportation.

7. Don Wright says:

Of course, they won’t tell us if the driver and passengers were illegal aliens.