Overheated PG&E SmartMeters Overcharging Customers

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – Some Pacific Gas and Electric Co. SmartMeters can overcharge customers when they become too hot.

Officials said on Monday that almost 1,600 of the wireless electricity and gas meters across Northern and Central California were found to be affected by the defect.

KCBS’ Dave Padilla Reports:

They sometimes misread electricity usage when their internal temperature goes over 100 degrees.

PG&E officials say they have replaced or will replace the defective meters. Affected customers will also receive refunds averaging $40 as well as a $25 credit.

The digital SmartMeters are used by many utilities across the country. PG&E has installed nearly 8 million and has plans for another 2 million.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. mostlylurking says:

Gosh, what a surprise. My bill has almost doubled since they installed my smartmeter and PG&E won’t even acknowledge that there is a problem. I even replaced all of my kitchen appliances with Energy Star models and have one less family member in the household.

1. V says:

Same with our family!! i called and called no help at all..

2. Jennifer Litwin says:

I have been been told by PG&E that their smart meters are right and I am wrong when I complained about my bill, its so unfair! What can I do?

2. Tami says:

PG&E is a monopoly and they dont have to care. The State has done nothing to look into these problems. My PG&E has doubled since we got the Smartmeter and its only myself and my husband and we both work 40 hours a week so nobody is home-go figure

3. HooDatIS? says:

REFUND ME MY MONEY
    U THIEF
    ITS MINE
    NOT URS

1. BOB says:

Your still an IDIOT

4. CC says:

Sounds like we need to shade our meters as a precaution.

5. robert says:

how do get my smartmeter replace

6. RobertWilliams says:

PG$E CORPORATE MANAGEMENT LIE.

They finally admitted to 1600 inaccurate meters after denying it for three years.

To get the correct number of inaccurate meters, add 4 zeroes: 16,000,000.

The Director of the Smart meter program, William Devereaux, was forced to resign after being caught breaking in to customer private communication groups.

The CEO of PG$E, Darbee, was forced to resign after the San Bruno killings and Wireless smart meter debacle.

They replace the figure heads, but we really need to get PG$E out of California and down the toilet.