American Legion Leader Claims San Francisco Unfriendly To Vets

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A top local American Legion official has accused the San Francisco Board of Trustees of being “veteran unfriendly” for rejecting a proposed job training center for soldiers returning home from war duty in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Ironically, the stalled proposal sought to place the job center in the city’s Veterans Memorial Building.

Roger Dong, chairman of the American Legion War Memorial Commission, was due to make an impassioned appeal to the Board of Trustees on Thursday afternoon to reconsider their Apr. 14 decision.

Dong told CBS San Francisco that city trustees had offered nothing but “excuses” in rejecting the Legion’s request to utilize a vacant room in the building that was last used as an administrative office for then-Mayor Willie Brown after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

Dong indicated that the Legion was seeking “no financial assistance from our city government” other than use of the empty room, which he said is sufficiently wired for telephone and Internet connectivity.

Corporations and philanthropists have donated furniture, computers and all the needed equipment for the job center, Dong said. He added that private funding was also obtained to pay for the staff that would provide career counseling to “homebound veterans who face severe obstacles in the current job market.”

The Board of Trustees last month suggested an alternate location for the job center, but Dong said that option would be “complex and costly” because the space would require significant rennovation – and possibly asbestos removal – that could take many months to complete.

Legion officials had hoped to open the career resource center for veterans by July 1, but Dong said the project was now in jeopardy unless the city trustees reverse their position.

Dong said he decided to speak out publicly on the matter with CBS San Francisco in the hopes of rallying support for the project. He urged the public to contact the Mayor’s Office and voice their opinions.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved.)

Comments

1. Ei Ei Oh says:

Service veterans are federal obligations, not the State, not the County, not the City.
    The French Legion was never sexy or romantic until it went FOREIGN.

1. Tommy Mack McEldowney says:

You are kidding, right?

Tommy Mack

2. Snobby San Franciscan says:

Yet the city is okay with funding perverted Parades, perverted Races to the bay, spending all sorts of money helping illegal immigrants but you can’t help a person who offers their service for all?

1. Erik S says:

And it seems to be ok with perverted bigots, who are bold enough to claim to be a “Snobby San Franciscan”, sounds like someone is bitter that San Francisco is so embracing of different communities!

2. Mad Mike says:

I bet if this had been a request from the backers of same-sex marriage they would have had that space in a heartbeat. Pathetic but what would you expect from SF?

1. Scoob says:

You bet? I bet maybe not. But who knows. Now another comment that’s worthless.

3. Brian Jennings says:

This story seems rather one-sided. Did the vets offer to pay for the room? What exactly were the excuses?

Wish this was better reporting.

For the record, I’m a veteran, I served in the Marine Corps and the Navy and I find Mad Mike’s comment abhorrent. I fought to protect the freedom and rights of all Americans!

4. WALLY says:

WHAT NEXT S.F. LINE UP AT THE S.F. AIRPORT AND SPIT ON THE VETS WHEN THEY OFF BOARD

1. Brian Jennings says:

Last time I was at SFO waiting for a flight to Vegas, a soldier got off, and their was applause and plenty of thank you’s.

Where were you?

1. WALLY says:

HEY BRIAN I HAVE SEEN FIRST HAND HOW PEOPLE FROM SF TREATED MY UNCLE WHEN HE CAME HOME FROM NAM IN 69′ MY POINT BEING SF HAS A LONG HISTORY OF ANTI-ESTABLISHMENT VIEWS YOU DONT JUST SUPPORT THE MILITARY IN THE POULAR WARS ,BUT THE UNPOULAR ONES TOO SO MY QUESTION TO YOU IS :WERE THE HELL WERE YOU WHEN MY UNCLE CAME HOME?
        P.S. I’M A VET TOO!

2. youseeit says:

That’s a lie. Never happened.

1. WALLY says:

RRRIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGHHHTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CHANGE YOURE DIAPERS!!!!!!

5. William Patrick Mosely says:

As a veteran, I must disagree. I personally love San Francisco, the best of times and the worst of times. I do not wish to cast aspersions on the fine work done by veterans groups. I can only speak of myself. To those who believe that San Francisco is unfriendly towards veterans really need to review our history.

1. Patrick Williams says:

I disagree William. You must be one of those who wear those bright colors during parades. No wonder you feel happy and at home in a city of degenerate people and perverts.

San Francsico and it’s mob mentality deserves a nice quake to shake things up a bit. To remind people that life isn’t just about sex and drugs

6. Dan Arles says:

More likely a Supervisor is going to give the space to one of his cronies. That’s how things work in SF.

7. Tired of Excuses says:

I’m sure someone would incapsulate the asbestos area so the room could be used, if it’s a ceiling issue, and unless it’s disturbed most risks can be seriously diminished. There is a way to make this useful for veterans and, of course, we owe it to them!

8. Lawrence says:

I was a vet for four years and the vets did NOTHING for me. They were totally uninterested because, after I left the service, despite an honorable discharge and duty overseas, I was opposed to the Viietnamese War. My brother got killed there. The VETS did NOTHING since to help me at any time. They can be damned!

9. Tommy Mack McEldowney says:

As an US Army veteran who has worked in the VA Outreach program with homeless vets in the Pacific Northwest, let me suggest that this issue generated by Roger Dong, chairman of the American Legion War Memorial Commission, is not a very good piece of public relations. For one thing, the American Legion is not the only non-profit veteran’s organization on the block. Asking the city for preferred status is what this amount to and the city can’t do that.

Griping to CBS5 does not advance his position either. CBS5 has an opportunity to dig into what other organizations are doing, not what they are not doing. The rest of the comments can be taken with a grain of salt. Yes, it was different for Vietnam vets. But it is time to get over that, too.

Tommy Mack