Fatal Highway 1 Crash That Blocked Lanes Ruled Suicide

MARIN (CBS SF) — A fatal crash in west Marin County that blocked state Highway 1 for nearly four hours Saturday was determined to have been a suicide, a California Highway Patrol officer said.

An 83-year-old El Sobrante man died when he drove his Chrysler PT Cruiser into a ravine off Highway 1 near Stinson Beach about 11:20 a.m., CHP Officer Chris Rardin said.

The car fell approximately 400 feet down an embankment and came to rest on its wheels, Rardin said.

The driver died at the scene.

The CHP reported that the victim had recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer and indicated to his relatives that he intended to kill himself, Rardin said.

The man’s name is being withheld at the request of the family.

Officers directed one-way traffic through the area until about 3:20 p.m.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Annie says:

Blessings to this man and his family. Believe me, he saved you much suffering. xo

1. Steve says:

I agree. I lost my mother to a long, horrible battle with cancer. A lot of suffering was avoided. My God be with you and your family.

2. Deb says:

If we allowed medically assisted suicide, this ‘accident’ could have been avoided. I am very sorry for this man and his family. I am also sorry he didn’t have an alternative.

3. sd says:

I am glad that this man chose how he wanted to go, I am only sad that he had no alternative, legal way with which to do it. Our society has a few hang up with regards to this, it should be a personal choice, and once made we should all respect it whether we agree or not.

4. David says:

Why would the highway be closed for any length of time let alone 4 hours? He was off the road.

1. Sharkey says:

It probably took four hours to get the body and the car out of the ravine.

1. David can't think says:

Sharkey: Thank you for your post. There are some will not able to figure the simplest of thing.

5. chuwee says:

I drive there once during a visit to Stinson beach. That area of highway 1 is crazy scary.

6. Mike says:

Now thats a way to go out like a Rockstar! Good for him..83..he lived a good long life