SFPD Car Stolen In Golden Gate Park Recovered

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — An unmarked police car that was stolen in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park on Wednesday was found abandoned Thursday afternoon in a parking garage on Geary Boulevard, police said.

The car was taken around 4 p.m. Wednesday after officers got out of it to assist another officer with a 29-year-old man who was allegedly resisting arrest near Hippie Hill, police said.

The officers left the keys inside the car, and a man jumped in and drove off.

The car was found around 1 p.m. Thursday in the parking lot of a Kragen Auto Parts store near the intersection of Third Avenue and Geary Boulevard, police spokesman Officer Albie Esparza said.

An employee from the auto parts store had called police after noticing it was an undercover car, Esparza said.

The vehicle, which was undamaged, had apparently been abandoned there around 5 p.m. Wednesday, police said.

The man who stole the car remains at large, and Esparza said investigators will process the vehicle for fingerprints.

Police Lt. Troy Dangerfield said Thursday that the officers had acted appropriately despite losing the car.

“We do always try to secure the vehicles, but depending on the urgency, that’s not the number-one concern,” Dangerfield said.

The 29-year-old man who was resisting arrest near Hippie Hill on Wednesday was eventually taken into custody and booked at the Park Station on suspicion of possession of marijuana for sale and resisting arrest, police said.

(Copyright 2011 by CBSSan Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. Wire services may have contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. Big G says:

Now that’s funny!!

2. Dennis Nichols says:

BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOSERS!!

3. Dennis Clay Jr. says:

4. Bloodhounds says:

Only in SF!

5. LOSERS!! says:

thats something you dont see everyday!! lol!!

6. Big Daddy says:

That cop should be punished severely, take away his coffee and doughnuts for a week.

7. SFCARE says:

WOW! I thought that only happens in the movies! but look at it? this way? with so much interest from hollywood lately? on our beautiful city! this SF finest? can get a job as extras! no problem!

8. Roger Craig says:

Did they ever arrest the 15 cops that stole from people. Make you wonder how the laws work in California, join the S.F.P.D. and become a crook that can get away with stealing and still be at work no jail, bail, or punishment…

9. Officer Richard says:

cops rule

10. Tom DiBell says:

“the officers had acted appropriately despite losing the car” Now if I had done that on my job, I would have been fired on the spot – with cause – with prejudice – with severe penalties – and I would have been prosecuted to the full extent of the law for allowing such a stupid act to occur. For the most part, regardless of what the situation, the unmarked unit contains weapons and communications equipment that require the officer secure the vehicle before leaving. As a general rule, that process takes less than 10 seconds. Those two officers are responsible for what happen and should face the music. Any argument in any direction other than full punishment is shear stupidity. If I were their commanding officer I would personally stand them up in front of City Hall in front of all of the Citizens of San Francisco and force them to apologize, then I would horse whip them 20 lashes each. No mollycoddeling anymore!

11. Nick - Officer of Chino CA says:

Here’s the problem. Let’s say the cop car is my back area from whence I produce what I no longer need from food and the thief is like that body part that produces the seed that bears life when paired with an egg. I wouldn’t ever let the latter enter the former without protection unless I was feeling dangerous.

12. Officer Wes Simmons of Chino CA says:

You said it sister

13. A real Police Officer says:

You guys are nuts! What are you talking about? By the way, Nick, if that’s the case, then I’m ALWAYS feeling dangerous.