San Jose Man Beaten In 2005 Fight Dies After 6-Year Coma
SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — A man who was beaten unconscious in a 2005 fight died last week after more than six years in a coma, a San Jose police sergeant said.
San Jose resident Octavio Medina, 48, died on June 21 under hospice care after receiving severe head injuries in a fight on Feb. 28, 2005, in the 300 block of Keyes Street. Medina had remained unconscious since police found him injured at the scene in 2005, police Sgt. Jason Dwyer said.
The beating suspect, Silvestre Felix Burgara, 53, who was living in San Jose in 2005, was arrested later that year following a verbal altercation Burgara and Medina had at a San Jose bar. The verbal fight led to an attack outside the bar, where Burgara allegedly attacked Medina, who sustained a head injury, according to Dwyer.
The Santa Clara District Attorney’s Office declined to file criminal charges in 2005 and Burgara was released. He was then deported to Mexico and his current whereabouts are unknown, Dwyer said.
There are no search warrants for Burgara and there are no active police searches, but the case is being reviewed by the district attorney’s office, Dwyer said.
The Santa Clara County medical examiner’s office told police Burgara died from injuries related to the attack six years ago.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)