BART Could Lose Millions For Failing To Integrate Clipper Card

View Comments
A passenger uses a Clipper card at a fare gate. (CBS)

A passenger uses a Clipper card at a fare gate. (CBS)

AnnaDuckworth20100909_KCBS_0483r Anna Duckworth
Anna started her broadcasting career at KCBS in 1994, a few mont...
Read More

OAKLAND (KCBS) – The Metropolitan Transportation Commission is threatening to withhold millions of dollars in funding from the Bay Area Rapid Transit District if the agency fails to integrate the Clipper card system by the end of the year.

BART had agreed to have the universal Clipper card available to its youth, senior and disabled and high frequency riders by the end of May but it failed to do so.

KCBS’ Anna Duckworth Reports:

Based on that agreement, the Metropolitan Transportation Commission’s John Goodwin said they passed a resolution early last year establishing various protocols.

“It included the ability of MTC to withhold or redirect various funds from all the participating transit agencies for failure to meet these deadlines.” said Goodwin.

He said a new deadline of December 31 has been set for BART and if the agency fails again, it could lose millions in bridge toll revenue, state transit assistance and other funding.

BART chief spokesperson Linton Johnson said the transit agency is working to encourage some long-term riders opposed to the Clipper changeover to embrace the new technology.

“I see where the MTC is coming from. It’s not fun to be put on notice that XYZ could happen if you don’t do it,” said Johnson. “If we can convince those constituents who are resistant, we can meet our deadline.”

BART began offering Clipper cards to the general riding public in August 2009.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 55,753 other followers