SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – All lanes of eastbound Interstate Highway 80 in San Francisco were back open after crews removed a disabled big rig and the portable building it was carrying that blocked the roadway for more than four hours Thursday morning.
The big rig and its load were relocated to the Fifth Street on-ramp in an unmarked area where the lanes merge, California Highway Patrol Officer Peter Van Eckhardt.
“It’s still on the road, but it’s out of the way of traffic,” he said.
Crews were having trouble removing the portable building from the highway because of its size, Van Eckhardt said.
“The trailer was in such bad shape. It’s an unusual load to move,” he said.
It was unclear when the big-rig and the portable building will be off the highway.
The No. 2 and No.3 lanes just west of Seventh Street had been closed since about 6:30 a.m., when the CHP issued a Sig-alert. The Sig-alert was canceled just before 11 a.m.
It is not clear why the big rig driver lost control but Van Eckhardt said it might have been because of a flat tire.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)