Families Of Missing NorCal Fishermen Want Search To Continue

SAN FRANCISCO (KCBS) — The families of seven Northern California men missing after a fishing boat accident in the Sea of Cortez earlier this month still hope their loved ones will be found, and the families are holding fundraisers to pay for search efforts.

“In order to give the families closure, we have to be realistic that there were a lot of these men who never made it off the boat,” said Fred Hahn.

Hahn is the the son-in-law of Donald Lee of San Ramon, one of the missing men. He said the families are considering hiring independent divers to continue searching for the men and are holding a series of fundraisers to fund that effort, including one Tuesday at a Danville restaurant.

KCBS’ Melissa Culross Reports:

Congresswoman Jackie Speier and other members of the Bay Area congressional delegation, meanwhile, have been urging the U.S. State Department to begin and fund a search effort.

(© 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

More from Melissa Culross
  • mechanic

    Those poor folks have been gone long enough to assume that they’ll never be found alive at this time. Sorry; but the sharks have probably already gotten rid of any trace that may have been left. Sad, but true.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Guide To The Holidays
Shine A Light On The Holiday Season With ‘Giving Tuesday’

Listen Live