WALNUT CREEK (CBS SF) — A two-alarm fire that broke out last Friday in a condominium complex in Rossmoor appears to have started in or near a stove, but was not cooking-related, a fire marshal with the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District said Friday.
Fire investigators are still in the process of evaluating the stove to see if it malfunctioned, Fire Marshal Lewis Broschard said.
The fire was reported shortly after 6:30 p.m. at 1209 Running Springs Drive in Rossmoor, a retirement community in Walnut Creek.
When fire crews arrived, nearly all of the eight units in the building were heavily involved in fire.
All 13 residents were evacuated without injury and firefighters were able to contain the blaze around 7:20 p.m.
The fire caused an estimated $2 million in damage, Broschard said.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)