Grass Fire Burns Near Hayward Golf Course
HAYWARD (CBS SF) — A five-acre grass fire just south of TPC Stonebrae golf course in Hayward on Tuesday was caused entirely by accident, according to Hayward fire Capt. Thor Poulsen.
Metal equipment used by country club workers to weed-whack the hillside gave off some sparks that caused the blaze, Poulsen said.
He said the workers attempted but were unable to extinguish the fire in time, and reported it at 2 p.m.
The slope of the hill allowed the fire to spread quickly, as did the increasingly strong winds, which kicked up to 10 to 15 mph as the afternoon wore on, Poulsen said.
The fire was contained by 3:19 p.m. and is now out, according to Poulsen. However, crews will remain on scene for the next hour to search for any remaining hot spots.
No one was injured, and no homes were threatened.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)