Local

2 Men Arrested For Gunning Down 3-Year-Old Oakland Boy

View Comments
Oakland shooting victim Carlos Fernandez Nava (Nava Family)

Oakland shooting victim Carlos Fernandez Nava (Nava Family)

OAKLAND (CBS 5) — Police reportedly arrested two men late Tuesday afternoon in connection with a drive-by shooting that killed a 3-year-old boy in East Oakland.

The Associated Press reported that the suspects were apprehended at a home in Pittsburg, but CBS 5 could not immediately confirm details of the arrests.

Just a couple hours before word of the arrests came, Oakland Deputy Police Chief Eric Breshears had told reporters: “We have investigative leads and expect that we will have closure to this.”

His comments came at a media briefing held outside the Little Caesar’s pizza restaurant at 6447 International Blvd near where the toddler, identified as Carlos Fernandez Nava, was shot at 1:10 p.m. on Monday.

KCBS’ Holly Quan and Chris Filippi Report:

“We’re hoping that having the crime being quickly solved will bring some closure to the family,” Breshears said.

Police said they believe the targets of the shooting were two other men who had no connection to the young boy and his family. Those men were also struck by bullets but survived.

Nava was pronounced dead at Children’s Hospital in Oakland shortly after the shooting, during which as many as 10 shots were fired from a car driving along the street.

Police, lawmakers and residents have expressed heartbreak and outrage over the child’s death and a vigil was being held Tuesday evening at the scene of the shooting. It was attended by Oakland Mayor Jean Quan.

“The death of an innocent child caught in crossfire in broad daylight breaks my heart,” Quan said. “Too many innocents are becoming statistics in our city. Gun battles in our neighborhoods are not and will not be the norm.”

KCBS’ Bob Melrose Reports:

A memorial for the boy had already been set up on the sidewalk near where the shooting happened prior to the vigil. Mourners had dropped off stuffed animals, candles, and a large baby bottle. There was also a large poster on which community members had written condolence messages.

Oakland Police Chief Anthony Batts put his department on tactical alert after the shooting and had officers working overtime to blanket the area; police spokeswoman Holly Joshi said “the investigation of this case and the arrest of all involved parties was our highest priority.”

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 55,781 other followers