Oakland Toddler Shooting Gang-Related; No Arrests Yet
OAKLAND (CBS SF) — Oakland Police Chief Anthony Batts said Wednesday that officers are “making very good progress” in investigating a drive-by shooting that killed a 3-year-old boy in East Oakland on Monday but no arrests have been made so far.
Batts told reporters at an impromptu briefing at police headquarters that the investigation is “very chaotic” and is changing rapidly because officers are busy chasing down leads and sources.
Batts said he is “confident we have very good leads” but indicated it might take a while to arrest the suspects in shooting near a Little Caesars pizza restaurant at 6447 International Blvd. at about 1:10 p.m. on Monday that claimed the life of Carlos Fernandez Nava, 3.
“Even if we don’t arrest anyone in a short period of time, we won’t give up,” Batts said.
Oakland police spokeswoman Cynthia Perkins said Wednesday that investigators are interviewing suspected gang members about the shooting.
She said the investigation led to an arrest on Tuesday but contrary to previous reports, police do not believe that person was connected to the toddler’s shooting.
“This investigation is ongoing and rapidly developing; we are confident that justice will be served,” Perkins said.
Police said they think two adult males were the intended targets of the shooting.
However, a stray bullet struck Carlos, who was with family members who were shopping in the area. Police said Carlos and his family had no connection to the targeted men.
Carlos was pronounced dead at Children’s Hospital Oakland shortly after the shooting.
The two adult males were also struck by bullets, but police said their injuries are not life-threatening.
Batts said several other law enforcement agencies are helping Oakland police with the investigation and searches have been conducted in several other cities.
A vigil for Carlos was held at the shooting scene Tuesday night.
Batts, who spoke at the vigil, said he has met with Carlos’ family several times to express his condolences for the “pain” it has suffered.
He said Carlos’ father is having “an extremely tough time” dealing with Carlos’ death.
A fund has been established in the name of Carlos Nava to assist his family family:
Carlitos Nava Fund
Wells Fargo – San Leandro Marina Branch
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)