Woman Attacks San Francisco Parking Officer Over Ticket

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) — A woman attacked a San Francisco Department of Parking and Traffic officer who gave her a parking ticket in the city’s Haight-Ashbury neighborhood Wednesday evening, a police lieutenant said Thursday.

The attack was reported around 5:50 p.m. in the 1500 block of Haight Street.

An altercation ensued after the parking officer wrote the woman a parking ticket, according to Lt. Belinda Kerr from the Police Department’s Park Station.

The woman reached into the DPT vehicle and threw items out of the vehicle, Kerr said.

“When the DPT person tried to stop her, there was a little bit of a tussle and he got hit,” she said. “We don’t know if it was intentional.”

The suspect, described as an Asian woman between 18 and 25 years old, fled in the car and was not found despite an extensive search, Kerr said.

Police have the license plate number of the vehicle, but its registered owner is not believed to be the suspect, she said.

The officer was not injured in the incident.

Anyone with information about the case is encouraged to call the Police Department’s anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444 or send a tip by text message to TIP411.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

1. BlahBlah says:

Hey troll, are you from East Oakland?

2. BlahBlah says:

Read the article! It didn’t say she was a Vietnamese woman! LOL what an idiot!

3. Tours Martel says:

Given the over the top nature of parking fines it is not surprising that this happened. San Francisco uses fines as a form of taxation to provide revenue for their assortment of odd programs. Vive l’resistance!

1. geek says:

Another kooky comment from a righ winger

1. Eric says:

And a reply by a geek.

2. SinkingSF says:

Add this to the grotesque ‘capitalism gone wrong’ with rip off parking garages all over the place. Make a wrong turn and you’re in a trap for parking.

SF welcomes its visitors with a blast of parking gouges and laughs like the ‘California Academy of Science’ – also known as overpriced display of mediocrity bested by some college science labs.

Tip, if you go to SF…get really %$#$ed up. You’ll fit in better and lower your expectations.

3. Michael Miranda says:

It is hard NOT to get a parking ticket. I also agree it’s a revenue generator.

4. Javier Calderon says:

Someone was just killed a few moments ago in Redwood City,Ca at the Wendys on El Camino

1. Michael Miranda says:

That would be real news.

5. coolman says:

cal is for loser

6. Hali says:

Ask the owner of the car where his car is. If the woman was upset over the ticket, she must know the owner.

7. Metermaid Hate says:

The meter maids in SF are merciless, nasty people. I’m sure others have had urges to lash out at them as have I. Every time I see those dumb looking trikes roll by, I give them a glare. They rank amongst the most despised professions alongside lawyers and investment bankers.

1. VV says:

Why investment bankers? Jealousy?

1. tom goyne says:

come on, everyone knows bankers are up there with politicians, lawyers and tow truck drivers

8. David says:

SF is too aggressive in giving out tickets. What a horrible city!! I would rather open my business in Sunnyvale than SF just because of the parking situation The ticketing officers need to back off in giving out tickets.

1. Wizard Status says:

I don’t know if I agree with you. I live in Northbeach and on my way to the store last week (around 4:00pm) I saw that over half the meters I passed were expired.

Personally, I was totally disappointed. I just kept thinking that everyone who didn’t pay was probably a self-centered, arrogant prick who genuinely thought they didn’t need because they were too important to be bothered.

And as this story illustrates, people in SF have more disregard for contributing what’s expected of them than the MM’s are aggressive in collecting fines…

1. rcgirl says:

Back in the old days, the early 80’s, you could rack up a lot of money in parking tickets never pay them, get rid of the car and that would do it. LOL! But soon after that they started linking parking tickets with the DMV penalizing those with unpaid parking tickets so they could not register their car unless the tickets were paid.

2. rfp says:

Giving a ticket at 5:50 is a way to get any one goat, the price of tickets today is out of touch of reality as well, so I’m glad there’s a little anarchy going on, we need more people to revolt!!

3. GT says:

Yes, I totally agree. I was parked in SF and since my meter was not expired, they gave me a fix it ticket for not having a front license plate. $110 ticket so there goes dinner in SF . Why go there to get tickets from meter maids when you can get a great meal down the peninsula. I think this is really hurting the tourism in SF. But who cares, right?

4. Elfstone says:

David– Stay out of The City. You are not necessary.

9. Raymond Lucas says:

The Parking Control officer was just doing his/her job. It doesn’t change anything to attack them.

The City of San Francisco RELYS on revenue from parking violations to help balance the budget. It would serve the city right if EVERYONE stopped driving thier cars and thus removed that revenue from thier books. They would be crying for money so bad, they’d have to invent new ways to ticket people.

1. fu says:

the guards at Auschwitz were “just doing their job”

1. B. says:

you are an idiot! comparing meter maids with Nazi guards.

10. Fred says:

Hmmmmmmmmmm – San Francisco voters elected the Board of Supervisors/city council who enacted those laws and the fines. The police and DPT are charged with enforcing those laws.

While you might not “like” it – tough s**t. It looks like the whiners here have the attitude of being “above” the law.

Go ahead and revolt and take action – then you’ll get to visit your loved ones through the partitions in jail.

11. Ted says:

Doue to parking ticketting and city stupid taxes I moved my business out of city, and I hired new guys. Who is lossing with this agressive ticketting attitudine?
    Wake up city oficial, the next after BART is SF Dept of Parking

1. Aaron says:

I can really see why your business went down the tubes. Great spelling and punctuation there. If everyone parked legally, they would have no reason to give out tickets.

1. Kurt Turner says:

Aaron is a Kool-Aid drinker….

12. Gorgar says:

Ride a bike. Walk. Take the bus. No parking problem. Understandably, car drivers are the biggest whiners.

13. whodatcat says:

i saw a meter maid give a ticket before the meter had expired. The park car had about 5 minutes left. I wrote a note explaining it and left it on the car…..If u have a car and have to park in the city u will learn to hate the meter maids

1. No more SF for me says:

I’ve had this happen – despite taking picture of the meter etc. and a looong wait, of course my appeal was denied. Basically, if you’re in the downtown area, they wait until your meter is ‘nearly’ up and then write a ticket, knowing full-well you’ll lose any appeal, because there’s no oversight anyway.

I’ve stopped going to SF for this very reason. SF, you’re losing more because of your Nazi-like meter-maids than you could be earning in increase tax from extra business.

14. steve says:

SF is gouching people.
    I heard city wanteds to take away handicapped parking becuase they cant make money from those poor handicapped folks. Bunch of A holes.

15. markiemarko says:

Your name fits you appropriately

-from an Asian guy

16. W says:

Indeed, Inner city neighborhoods in the US are swarming with Tiger Moms and their Ivy League applying, overachieving children. Who will put a stop to this wave of crime? The horror!

17. JJ says:

Good for her. It is time to stand up to the traffic police, why should one pay to park on the street any way.?

1. B. says:

and hitting someone is the best way to do that? wow. you are just as bright as as the stupid woman who hit the parking officer.

18. Sean says:

The fines for parking tickets are too much. $65+ is obscene. Those who makes min wage don’t make $65 a day. I really feel for those people who lose a days wage because of a parking mistake. I understand we have to have a parking enforcement system in place but hard working people make mistakes and shouldn’t pay so dearly in this economic time.

19. Steve says:

This article made me smile…”just doing their jobs”….sounds like “soldiers following orders”…I’ve read that one before.
    Fight back people….make these metermaids think twice before they take the job!

1. jeff says:

Steve, the brave guy. See you in the front line but not in this blog.

20. Stan says:

In SF I’ve gotten a ticket parked outside of the “hall of justice” because I had to wait in the line to pay for a previous ticket for over 2 hrs. That woman should have run over the meter maid.

21. Red says:

How about fighting back at City Hall? They’re the ones passing the laws!

But no, you’d rather continue to re-elect the same morons because of what they’ve “promised.”

You deserve what you voted for.

22. mike says:

People who can’t follow a simple law, like putting money in the meter, are stupid…what’s wrong, can’t follow the rules? Too many idiots out there…and they are all in the idiot boat together.

1. Jes says:

I put money in the meter and I couldn’t have been more than 10 minutes late to get back to my car and WHAM! I got nailed with a parking ticket. THIS IS THE ISSUE most people have with SF. Most people are following the law but the law is too aggressive in seeking out timed out meters. You must not travel to the city much with your simply stupid comment.

23. mitra says:

Oh god, leave the “suspect” alone, I understand her frustration with the ridiculousness of parking tickets in San Francisco.

DPT officers are usually deserving of what they get.

24. CJP says:

I’m glad they didn’t catch her.

25. Still Your Master says:

Elfstone – You are still an ass.

26. Carl R. Callison says:

It a tough job for the city every 5 minutes, If thes fines weren’t so high. Man that is what hurts. We know we did wrong bit the punishment doesn’t fit the crime. yet it still a legal but tough job for parking meter officer. They risk their lives writtine a ticket.

27. Daishin Susneri says:

I have contacted my supervisor numerable times about the ridiculous parking ticket situation in SF but he doesn’t nothing about it. The supervisors don’t care about us. It’s a s simple as that. There is no sane solution, so destroy the parking meters and get rid of the elected officials.

28. DBE says:

29. Al says:

Well, I can’t exactly say I blame her.Cities are absurd about tickets and give them for the most trivial reason.I can see if one already had a bad day that getting a ticket for something like being a few inches from the curb could set one off.

30. The Collector says:

Meter maids get a bad rep. They’re hired to do a job, and though some may seem like cold people, they can’t sit there feeling sorry for everyone they give a ticket to. Just remember to feed your meter, park at a garage, or take public transit into The City. And please don’t destroy the meters. As someone who has to walk around collecting the money out of them and report problems with them, it makes my job easier if people don’t bash them in or stuff them full of junk.

31. Michael Aschoff says:

Meter maids eat their young …

32. Michael Aschoff says:

The simple fact is no one should do these jobs … they would not exist if noone did them. Severely ridicule people who aid the government in their revenue generation in this way.

33. The only city with 1,000,000 parking regulations says:

Not surprised that some people go crazy because the fines are so expensive. Tuesday I got a 2-hour street parking ticket for $65. Yesterday Thursday, got another $65 2-hour ticket. Today Friday, I got a $55 street cleaning ticket. The SF DPT operates like it’s a business.

34. Paul says:

I hope they start ticketing the bikers next.

35. Paul says:

All bikers must give right away to gas guzzlers or else be fined.

36. PJ says:

This is ridiculous, analyzing the problem how can Meter Maid give a parking ticket if the driver is there. She can simply ask the driver to move. Her job is to make sure people don’t park illegally. Not collect money for the city. If the driver still insist to park then its a different story. City of Hayward same issue, camera every single corner, every right turn to make extra revenue for the city. And it’s not cheap either over $400 dollars. Try going to the court, have to be there at 6Am to get a pass at 8AM, then wait again for couple of hours to see the judge. There are huge lines outside of the court house for the traffic ticket, this is also on rainy days. Parking on a bus stop for a minute and cop sees you from the other side of the street ( No bus at a near site). Sends you a ticket at home for $250 dollars. This is ridiculous something needs to be done. Laws are laws but don’t take it literally some logic or common sense needs to be applied. My two cents.

37. an24 says:

asian drivers…

38. dan says:

mmmm… feisty asian chick

39. NK says:

SF Traffic police is very aggressive to write parking tickets and traffic & parking tickets are very very expensive these days. This is the way the city collects it’s revenue. Going to court is pointless, the judge is also in favor of city.

40. Casey says:

Hats up to the lady! Good job, well done!