Familiar Names Appear On SF BART Protest Arrest List

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS 5) – We are learning more about the 35 people who were arrested during Monday evening’s BART protest, which shut down two downtown San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit stations at several points throughout the roving demonstration.

On Thursday, police released a list of individuals arrested during a protest that briefly shut both the Civic Center and Powell St. Stations over BART’s prior decision to shut down cellphone service during a planned rally.

A closer look at that list reveals several familiar names from previous local protests. Among those was Zachary Running Wolf of Berkeley, who has been a mainstay in dozens of protests in the Bay Area throughout the years, including the tree-sitting incident in Berkeley a few years ago.

Gabriel Meyers of Oakland was arrested in connection with the 2005 G-8 protest during which a San Francisco police officer was seriously injured. In April of 2009, Myers pleaded guilty for throwing paint on BART board member Dorothy Dugger during a board meeting. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail.

The most serious charge was against 27-year-old Ryan Ragle. Ragle was busted for possession of an incendiary device – a felony. Police said he lit it up on Market Street during the protest Monday.

A man who was caught on camera assaulting a CBS 5 cameraman was not taken into custody, he fled before he could be identified.

The ages of those arrested range from 17 to 56. Most were from San Francisco and Oakland, but some were from out of state.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

1. ani says:

I never believed that protesting would make a difference because most of these idiots who protested against Bart are a bunch of imbeciles who are just nothing but trouble. I would have love to film them all on camera just to post on you tube, but then, a little common sense intervened and soon enough, I wouldn’t be in any trouble as these hecklers have been in their life time. So by minding my own business and when I chose not to get involved in this childish prank, I am gleeful enough to be safe in my own adobe. Now maybe these people would hopefully wake up and start to get the breath on reality that a simple rule to live by is to let the early bird stay home.

2. Dennis says:

At first I was sympathetic to their cause, but the protests proved an inconvenience to me personally. I now side with BART purely out of spite and eagerly await news of police brutality.

3. Dennis says:

also, as a frequent BART passenger I have often thought of either purchasing or creating my own signal blocker. Having to listen to other people’s conversations is irritating to the point of inducing violent rage.

4. Ben says:

So, SFPD is cracking down on BART protesters after putting up with monthly critical mass demonstrations for years? The real message here isn’t how bad the protesters are, it’s how worthless the cops are. Why don’t they prioritize and stop critical mass, then worry about the more recent, smaller problem created by the BART protesters? Of course, it would be nice for someone to acknowledge that they have a valid concern about BART passengers being shot by itchy trigger finger cops.

1. DaPoPoMan says:

I bet the rank and file officers would love to put a stop to critical mass, but they are ordered not to because of the idiots running SF.

2. DaPoPoMan says:

Also, Oscar Grant was a turd who was going to get killed by someone and the last idiot had two weapons and attacked the officer. Moral of the story don’t do badness and you will be fine. For a refresher watch the Chris Rock educational video about how to act with the PO-leessseeee!