Agent Says Giants Could Be In Mix For Beltran
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS / AP) — Agent Scott Boras expects slugger Carlos Beltran to seriously consider returning to the San Francisco Giants beyond this season.
Boras is scheduled to have lunch with his client on Tuesday in Los Angeles, where the Giants open a series against the Dodgers. He expects to know more about what Beltran wants after that, perhaps such specifics such as how many years he might seek in a new deal.
The 34-year-old Beltran, who joined the defending World Series champion Giants in a July 28 trade from the New York Mets, has said he will think about his next step once he is home for the offseason.
“Well, you have to remember when Carlos and I sat down to determine what teams he was going to go to, it was his choice,” Boras told The Associated Press on Monday night before attending the “Moneyball” premiere in downtown Oakland. “He came to the Giants for a reason. Obviously he has played very well here. He has gotten a chance to get to know the city and the organization.”
The switch-hitting Beltran told the San Jose Mercury News last week he would like to see San Francisco take steps to upgrade the offense—aside from just getting back a healthy catcher Buster Posey and second baseman Freddy Sanchez, both out with season-ending injuries—and the parties would be in touch regarding the plan this winter. Addressing the leadoff spot is something else Beltran has noted.
Boras also doesn’t look at Beltran’s next contract as his last, meaning San Francisco could be in the mix even if it makes an offer to Beltran of two or three years. Boras, of course, also wants as many bidders as possible.
Beltran’s decision also could be affected by what happens with the two highest-profile sluggers in free agency: Albert Pujols and Prince Fielder.
“He’s still only 34 so he has a chance to have one more big contract,” Boras said.
Under the Giants’ new leadership, the club hasn’t been handing out as many long-term deals of late. Management learned a lesson when it signed another Boras client, pitcher Barry Zito, to a $126 million, seven-year contract before the 2007 season.
Last week, managing partner Bill Neukom announced he would step down at the end of the year, while president Larry Baer is being promoted to CEO. Baer will answer to the ownership group’s nine-member executive committee.
“I think a lot of it has to do with Carlos and where he wants to play,” Boras said. “That’s just something we’ll have to talk about. Of course you have to determine what teams have interest in him, too.”
Beltran is batting .333 for San Francisco with five home runs, 16 RBIs, four triples and eight doubles in 35 games. He has bounced back after a stint on the disabled list with a strained right hand and wrist.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)