SANTA ROSA (CBS SF) — Offshoots of the Occupy Wall Street movement are holding demonstrations in San Rafael and Santa Rosa on Saturday.

Occupy San Rafael plans to picket in front of the Bank of America at 1000 4th St. at noon.

Occupy Santa Rosa will gather at 2 p.m. in from of Santa Rosa City Hall at 100 Santa Rosa Ave.

PHOTOS: Bay Area ‘Occupy’ Protests

“Occupy Together”, the growing “people-powered movement for democracy began Sept. 17 with an encampment in New York City’s financial district, and claimed 1,767 “occupy communities” across the country this week.

“Inspired by the Egyptian Tahir Square (uprising that led to the ouster of President Hosni Mubarak) and Spanish acampadas, we vow to end the monied corruption of our democracy,” the Occupy Santa Rosa website states.

The Occupy groups cite an economic disparity between the richest 1 percent of the population and the remaining 99 percent.

The groups’ goals include ending tax cuts for the rich, cutting military spending and improving infrastructure, creating jobs, improving public service and regulating big banks and Wall Street investment firms.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Comments (2)
  1. Jerry Frey says:

    Get the money out of politics. Campaign contributions are the nexus of corruption in the capitol. Reduce the amount of money involved in re-election, which really is the name of the game, by promulgating free air time during elections. Keep the current system for primaries.

    Lobbyists infest Washington like locusts in a cornfield.

    Protesters on Wall Street who represent anger, despair, and frustration with the status quowill begin making an impact on the Establishment’s consciousness when the protests are transferred to Pennsylvania Ave. and McClean, Va.

  2. 1%InSF says:

    Obama apparently doesn’t share this sentiment with the protestors. He continues to raise hundreds of millions of dollars for his presidential campaign while telling the populace that he feels their pain. Obama wants people to believe he is one of us, the hard-working American. Remember all that campaign talk of a different type of government full of transparency?? I certainly haven’t seen anything different in the last three years. It’s still the same game but a democratic Ass in charge instead of a republican elephant. Obama and Michele have cancelled their Bali vacation so that it would not appear that they are insensitive to the American people during this second recession. If Obama manages to get reelected, you can be certain that the vacations will become more frequent and exotic with many of their friends and family in tow, all at the expense of the taxpayers. It’s nice to be king isn’t it?

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
LIVE: Monday through Friday from 3am – 3pm PST

Watch & Listen LIVE