Pro Surfer At San Francisco Event Withdraws After Seeing Large Shark

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS/AP) — A professional surfer competing in a contest Tuesday in the cold waters of San Francisco’s Ocean Beach left the waves before the end of his heat after saying he saw a large shark.

Surfer Dusty Payne, 22, of Hawaii left the surf while competing against Jordy Smith of South Africa. Payne said he spotted a large shark fin just outside the “lineup,” where surfers sit in the water and wait for their turn.

“I was just sitting there, and I was waiting for a wave. I’ve seen dolphins before, and it wasn’t a dolphin,” Payne said during an interview on the beach with the Rip Curl Pro Search event’s camera crew. “It was the biggest fin I’ve ever seen in my life coming straight at me.”

A contest boat floating just offshore called in after the alleged sighting, saying they saw a dolphin, not a shark, said Dave Prodan, media director for the Association of Surfing Professionals.

“This obviously doesn’t preclude the situation of having both a dolphin and shark in the water at the same time, and event organizers launched a jet ski to further assess the situation,” Prodan said.

“Aside from Payne’s initial report, no further sighting of the animal was confirmed and the competition resumed without pausing.”

KCBS’ Margie Shafer Reports:

The sighting follows an attack by a 9-foot shark on a surfer Saturday at Marina State Beach in Monterey County.

Eric Tarantino suffered injuries to his neck and arm, but was released from the hospital Monday.

While the waters off San Francisco are known to be host to white sharks, attacks are rare. The last attack, which was not fatal, occurred Nov. 2, 2005, according to the Shark Research Committee.

Despite Tuesday’s alleged sighting, the contest continued all day.

Ten-time world champion Kelly Slater, 39, won his heat, needing only one more winning heat during the San Francisco contest to capture his 11th title.

The contest in San Francisco began Tuesday, and is the first professional surfing event in the city in decades.

It is scheduled to begin again at 8 a.m. Wednesday.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Comments

1. bc says:

a very wise surfer indeed.

1. oakland randolla says:

westernyouth.org is a kook organization. go find an appropriate article to leave your kooky political drivel on. an article about a shark attack? really? kook.

2. rob says:

Don’t be a H8ter.

3. Scarf says:

I love sports and have played and competed in a wide array of them. Surfing is a great sport requiring a lot of talent, skill and endurance but any sport that has the possibility of me being food is out of the question. I guess it is one of my hang ups.

4. Ringirl says:

You make it sound like a Neo-Nazi organization. If that’s what it is, don’t hide behind an innocent sounding name. Say what you are, if you’re not a coward (it sounds like you are exactly that).

5. Vina Sestonari says:

You can’t even spell your own pseudonymn correctly, you imbecile!

It’s spelled “Leonidas”.

6. Jim in California says:

oakland randolla, prove your statement “westernyouth.org is a kook organization”, by providing quotations from said website.
      Otherwise, I will be forced to declare YOU to be a “kook” leftist, who smears with innuendo, and whose mentality and education is devoid of fact based critical thinking.

7. oakland randolla says:

per westernyouth.org- “Western Civilization is our civilization and in spite of the continual assault and hatred it endures from the radical left, we wish to revive the West, rather than see our civilization be sent to the graveyard of history.” – Xeno Phobe 2011. keep holding on to your past. the youth will not allow you to stop the natural progression and evolution of society and civilization. it has nothing to do with being “leftist” it is simply natural progression. young people are not as dumb as you think they are, Jimbo.

8. Dave says:

And still a surfer tomorrow brah! I’ve lived in the Islands off and on for 40 years. Listen to the Hawaiian, you might just be shark doodoo tmw if you don’t. They are masters of the sea-little brown Neptunes, god love em!, and they’ll keep you alive if you listen about the water.

1. Crystal Meth says:

Don’t do drugs!

2. Aj says:

Yeah……”brah.” Cute.

9. AltheDago says:

I think you mean Leonidas

2. MassExodus says:

““biggest fin I’ve ever seen in my life coming straight at me.”
    That makes my skin crawl even hearing it.
    Smart surfer.

1. J.D. says:

No kidding! I’m from the mid-west so I’m not even an “ocean guy” . I’ve been snorkling a few times but if I EVER see a fish as big as me (I don’t care if it’s a benign breed) — I’m outta there!

1. glenp says:

that fish was a TON and WAY BIGGER than you

3. Surfing Since '72 says:

It’s a shame that good surf conditions and good eatin’ for BIG sharks are the same corner of the planet.

We are indistinguishable from sea lions to a shark.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Looks like the neon and pastels back in the ’80s was smarter than any of us realized at the time.

1. b'emet Or says:

NOpe…….sharks are attracted to bright orange…..google it.

1. Esteban says:

Googled it for you. Sharks are color blind. Idiot.

4. astralweeks says:

I live and surf in Florida. Surfers here have ‘big fish’ sightings all the time and keep surfing. I admit that when I see one I usually stay out of the water for a few weeks.

1. Al Jenson says:

I grew up surfing there and was in the water in the 1970s six feet away from Hurst when he got bit. Years later I flew a Cessna over St. Aug beach and Crescent. The sharks were swimming through the legs of unknowing tourists below me like minnows at a pond. I’ve never taken a board to those waves again.

1. Paul Revere says:

This is what people really dont realize, that ignorance truly is bliss. I went on a helicopter ride in Hawaii about 20 years ago. From above you can see EVERYTHING. The surf was full of swimmers, surfers, adults, children, and just about 30-50yards beyond them?……dozens upon dozens of sharks. All the way up and down the entire coastline, regardless of human presence. Mostly smaller ones maybe the size of a person, but peppered in were quite large ones throughout.

2. Ringirl says:

So much phenomenal ignorance in posts here….

Most sharks pose no risk to humans. On the West Coast, only Great Whites pose a risk to humans. If you could see through the water, though, you’d see sand sharks, leopard sharks, “dogfish,” Salmon sharks, etc.

A recent census estimate put the WC Great White population at about 251, based on surveys.

What should you learn from this? Reality is not defined by your fear, anger or resentment. But, if you’re an ignorant person, and most of us are, you’ll die without ever learning that lesson.

2. Give me a break says:

Ring girl, You don’t know what your talking about. Your numbers do not jive with the study you talk about. That study was done in the pacific in given areas and based on these areas alone. to say this study is conclusive, is like me counting the goldfish in my neighbors tank, then the one two blocks down, then the local pet shop, and so forth, then saying I can predict how many goldfish there is in the country let alone the entire world. Maybe I should get a goverment grant to study this so I can state my findings In complete ignorance.

5. Carlos says:

This story sounds fishy to me.

1. David says:

fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish fish. Oh those fishies.

6. s.white says:

That fin sounds delicious..

1. oakland randolla says:

boooooooooo. hissssss.

2. Esteban says:

Stupid is as stupid does. As leftists are so very stupid….

3. Joe Arciniega says:

We should eradicate idiots like you from the world. I don’t care who was here first or all that blahblahblah.

4. Dave says:

First? You MORON. How about “part of the ecosystem”? Ever hear of that little detail?

And to the idiot thinking we know ANYTHING about the depths of the oceans or counts on ANY species in them, BAHAHAHAHA! Your egos know no bounds.

5. Gerry says:

Actually, we should be preserving the sharks since they are part of the overall food chain. I suggest we also use ignorant leftists like yourself as “chum” for the sharks, it is about all that you are good for.

7. ED357 says:

HEY DUDES……..

keep protecting and encouraging those sea lions and seals to populate your beaches and coastlines…….

you’re drawing in the big predatory sharks……..

And those sharks are going to continue chomping on sea lions, seals, surfers, and swimmers……

SURF’S UP.

1. oakland randolla says:

the sea lions were there first, you kook.

1. flashman1854 says:

And Native Americans were also here first, so what are you doing continuing to take up urban space you hypocrite?

2. EKC says:

flashman you are the hypocrite, hypocrite.

8. Gunny G says:

He MUST BE A LIBERAL! They CUT AND RUN at the first sign of danger too.

The Anti Liberal Zone on blogspot.

9. Gunny G says:

ATTENTION ALL!

Next week is FEED A LIBERAL TO A SHARK WEEK.

Take a liberal deep sea fishing and chuck him/her overboard. The sharks will thank you AND America will thank you.

A public service message from The Anti Liberal Zone

1. Audy Murphy says:

Whuts a librul? Gummy

2. Dave says:

You’ll kill off the sharks with high cholesterol…..find another way. We dump enough garbage in the ocean now.

3. Jack Davis says:

Especially an Occupier!! They already smell like chum.

10. yujvc fju says:

everyone quit surfing now!

11. kbernatovich says:

Michelle is on it. No more suring….just eat apple slices and all will be ok.

12. SurferJim says:

A good shark is a dead shark. You’ve got enviromental wackos telling anyone who will listen that sharks are dying out. The best judges of shark populations are surfers and after surfing for more than twenty five years I can tell you, there are far more sharks now than ever; including Florida and all the way up the East Coast, Southern Cali to the North Shore, and the Gold Coast of Australia. Anyone who tells you different is simply lying to you.

1. EKC says:

the best judge of shark populations are scientists – you clearly are not a scientist and are likely a whacko.

1. Mac says:

You mean people who get paid to sensationalize data? The press and “scientists” are not what they once were (generally speaking).

13. SurferJim says:

A good shark is a dead shark. You’ve got environmental wackos telling anyone who will listen that sharks are dying out. The best judges of shark populations are surfers and after surfing for more than twenty five years I can tell you, there are far more sharks now than ever; including Florida and all the way up the East Coast, Southern Cali to the North Shore, and the Gold Coast of Australia. Anyone who tells you different is simply lying to you.

1. Ringirl says:

1. jekyllisland says:

How is that idiotic in anyway – are you just angry at men?

2. EKC says:

jekyll, are you a scientist? then it is you that must be mad at women to leave such a lame comment. suferjimbo clearly isn’t a scientist and obviously doesn’t know what he is talking about. hence- “Congratulations. You have no idea what you’re talking about, yet spout off with pride. You win the Dumbest Poster prize for the day.” per Ringirl.

2. krp says:

I hate environmental wackos more than you do, but I agree that you are an idiot. Sharks are not fish, they aren’t even vertebrates. They have a cartilage skeleton not bone. Sharks are an important part of the ecosystem, they are essentially aquatic buzzards, they clean up the oceans. There are always tons of sharks everywhere. The problem is that surfer paddle out into areas that the sharks thinks that the paddling hand is a fish and goes after it.
      That’s like saying, get rid of all snakes just because there are a handful of venomous ones. Then there wouldn’t be anything to keep the rat population down and they would go haywire and destroy all the crops and the nation’s food supply. ‘
      Idiot.

14. Greg the Diver says:

Leave the sharks alone. Don’t act like food and you won’t be food.

15. Vina Sestonari says:

Thankfully, they put a stock image of a shark fin in the article, otherwise, I would have had no idea what they were talking about.

1. Patricia says:

lol..Best POST here!

16. James says:

_______________________________________________________________
    If it never “paused” how could it “resume”?

17. land_shark says:

Hmmm. San Francisco. Alpha male scared by fish with a big fin. Must be a fairy. Your welcome.

18. Occupy Castro says:

what if all the gays got eaten by sharks

1. Dave says:

Can sharks get AIDS?

19. Hunts Huntsinger says:

If you’re gonna be a-scared of sharks, then you can’t be no surfer.

20. Allen Ross says:

To paraphrase Falstaff: Discretion is the better part of valor. This surfer made the tough choice, and the right choice.

21. elevenhundred says:

10/10 sharks agree, hypocrisy and liberalism improve the flavor of beach goers. Eat at SF.

P.S.- I know hypocrisy and liberalism is redundant. Go with it.

22. SerfCityHereWeCome says:

HOOPAH, ya idyot! Ain’t you watchin’!?!

23. LifeTakesForever says:

I was attacked by two sharks at once, each ripping through an arm, at each shoulder, and now I am without a means of driving or writing or brushing my hair or picking my nose or masturbating. STAY OUTTA THE WATER! How can I type this warning to all of you, you ask? I’m a Jedi. I didn’t know I was a Jedi when the sharks attacked, but now I do. (Yeah, dumb luck, that. Oh, and I had also splashed on a new cologne that fateful day….”CHUM”) I’m working on regenerating my arms even as I write this with my Jedi mind, though, so do not pity me. 🙂

1. Rico Suave says:

You can’t whack off with your mind?
      You must be a Jedi probie.

24. SerfCityHereWeCome says:

I value my butt a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I’ll find him for three, but I’ll catch him– and kill him– for TEN!

25. SerfCityHereWeCome says:

Y’all know me. Know how I earn a livin’. I’ll catch this bird for you, but it ain’t gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin’ bluegills and tommycods. This shark, swallow you whole. Little shakin’, little tenderizin’, an’ down you go. And we gotta do it quick, that’ll bring back your tourists, put all your businesses on a pay-in basis. But it’s not gonna be pleasant. I value my neck a lot more than three thousand bucks, chief. I’ll find him for three, but I’ll catch him, and kill him, for ten. But you’ve gotta make up your minds. If you want to stay alive, then ante up. If you want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter. I don’t want no volunteers, I don’t want no mates, there’s just too many captains on this island. $10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing.

26. Blake says:

With shark attacks being for the most part, incredibly rare, why is it that at least three attacks in the last ten years have occurred at Marina State Beach? i’m from Monterey and have surfed Marina plenty of times, but still, a little odd.