Occupy Encampment Cleared From Private Oakland Lot

OAKLAND (CBS SF) – Occupy Oakland protesters have torn down tents on a private lot after the owner told police she wanted them out.

The protesters had taken over the lot on Monday, and by Tuesday night around 40 tents had been pitched there, police spokeswoman Johnna Watson said.

Police in riot gear watched 200 protesters dismantled the west Oakland encampment Tuesday night. Protesters were warned to clear out by 8:30 p.m.

The parcel is adjacent to a residential building and, according to public records, is owned by Gloria Cobb.

Protesters said Tuesday that the property was in foreclosure proceedings, and that the owner had given them permission to occupy the area to help protect the land from being foreclosed.

Watson said Tuesday that the owner had asked protesters to leave, and police arrived to enforce that request at around 8:30 p.m.

Watson said that all protesters eventually left without incident. No one was arrested or cited, Watson said.

Afterward, some protesters returned to the sites of Occupy Oakland’s previous encampments at Frank Ogawa Plaza and Snow Park, but did not try to camp there, Watson said.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From CBS San Francisco

Get The New CBS SF Bay Area Local App
Got Our Weather App?

Listen Live