Hayward Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Sickens 3

HAYWARD (CBS SF) — Fire officials in Hayward are reminding residents to install carbon monoxide detectors in their homes after three people were hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning in the city Sunday morning.

Staff at Kaiser Permanente called the Hayward Fire Department to report that two adults and a child with signs of carbon monoxide poisoning had arrived at the hospital’s emergency room earlier Sunday morning, Capt. Thor Poulsen said.

Fire officials went to the victims’ home at 758 Ellen Ave. and found measurable amounts of the toxic gas, Poulsen said.

It was the first night of the season that the family had operated the household heating system, which leaked the carbon monoxide, Poulsen said.

PG&E crews are investigating, and the home is currently uninhabitable.

As of July, all single family homes in California are required to have carbon monoxide detectors, which typically cost less than $30, Poulsen said.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in headaches, dizziness, nausea, and death.

More information can be obtained by calling the Hayward Fire Department Emergency Services Office at (510) 583-4948.

(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)


  • Henrique

    It’s the law in Oregon too. Ironically I have an all electric home and still am frecod to have one. I don’t believe in them. this kind of technology is notorious for being ineffective or simply not working when you need them. More people die in home fires and most home fires are caused by careless disposal of cigarettes or from candles. We could save more lives if we outlawed candles. Yet we choose not to. Why? Most accidental deaths are a result of car accidents. about 25% of those deaths could be prevented if everyone was required to wear a helment. 50%-75% of those deaths could be prevented with helmets and five point seat belts. That’s a lot of lives. Why don’t we mandate it??? The simple answer is that it isn’t about saving lives and we all know our politicians are dishonest so I’m guessing someone got a payoff. Good luck with your detector but I’m choosing prevention so there will never be any CO to detect.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Guide To The Holidays
Shine A Light On The Holiday Season With ‘Giving Tuesday’

Listen Live