Christmas Day Parking Enforcement In San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/FUNCHEAPSF) – Thankfully on Christmas day the city of San Francisco is going to reward you with a ticket-free day of parking…mostly…If you’ve got better things to do than be with your family on Christmas and need a car to run those errands you’ll pretty much have free reign while parking anywhere in the city.
Although parking hazardously is always ticketable and towable – as is parking in a red or blue zone – almost everything else is yours for the parking. And watch out – Christmas Eve is a normal day and you’ll get ticketed just like every other day.
- On Christmas Day parking meters and 7-day street sweeping will not be enforced citywide.
- Commuter tow away and residential parking permits will not be enforced.
- Hazards are always subject to citation and towing.
- Christmas Eve (Saturday, December 24, 2011) is a normal day and subject to all normal parking regulations
More details and all the exceptions listed below:
Parking Enforcement Schedule & Rules
Christmas Day (Sunday, December 25, 2011)
The Good News
- Street Sweeping: Not enforced for either M-F or 7-Day
- Residential Permit Parking: Not enforced
- Commuter Towaway: Not enforced
- Parking Meters: Not enforced (except on Port of San Francisco Property like along the Embarcadero)
- Yellow Curbs : Commercial loading & unloading parking zones are not enforced
The So-So News
- Green Zone: Enforced (short term parking – usually 10 mins Monday-Saturday 10am to 6pm) we’ve gotten conflicting information about the Green Zone – Parking Enforcement HQ said it is enforced, but our on-the-street meter-dude said Green Zones are not enforced…
- White Zone: Passenger loading zones are enforced (5 minute limit), but only while the business (and some apartment buildings) is open – if the business that paid for the zone (usually the one right in front of the white zone) is closed, it’s free parking. (but beware some businesses are 24 hours even though they may look closed – Our parking enforcement source recommended you find a security guard for the building and ask.)
The Bad News:
- Red Zone: Enforced
- Blue Zone: Enforced (Handicap)
- Port of San Francisco Meters: (like along the Embarcadero) These are enforced all the time, even on Christmas
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)