BAY POINT (KCBS)— A two-alarm fire at a condominium complex in Bay Point claimed a 60-year-old woman early Saturday morning.
The blaze was reported just before 5 a.m. when firefighters responded to the 100 block of Tammy Circle.
One unit, where investigators believe the smoke alarms failed, was destroyed and two on either side has been deemed uninhabitable. Two families were displaced in those units.
KCBS’ Anna Duckworth Reports:
The woman’s name that was killed was not yet released, but she did share the condo with her boyfriend who is also in his 60’s.
Maria Anderson and her teenage daughter lived in one of the affected units.
“At about 4:30 this morning I heard my neighbor, Neil, screaming fire and I looked out my window. I could see smoke and then it turned really black.” Anderson said after she saw the neighbor running back and forth, still screaming fire, she dialed 911.
Once firefighters first arrived to the scene of thick-black smoke, they then found the body of the 60-year-old downstairs.
Her boyfriend got out, but was taken to the hospital with second-degree burns to his back.
Contra Costa Fire Marshall Lewis Broschard called it a tragic situation.
“We’re reminding everybody to not only put fresh batteries in their smoke alarms at least every six months, but also to test their smoke alarms monthly to ensure that they’re working,” he said.
The cause of the fire remains to be determined, but investigators have pinpointed the origin to a downstairs living room.
(Copyright 2011 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)