Sports

Earthquakes Re-Sign GK Busch, Sign Forward Guvenisik

View Comments
Jon Busch #18 of the San Jose Earthquakes. (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

Jon Busch #18 of the San Jose Earthquakes. (Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images)

SAN JOSE (CBS / AP) — The San Jose Earthquakes on Thursday re-signed veteran goalkeeper Jon Busch through the 2013 season, with an option for 2014. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Busch, a 35-year-old New York native, was one of the club’s brightest lights last season, leading MLS in saves with 113 in the regular season. He ranks eighth all time in career shutouts with 60. Busch, in his 14th MLS season, is considered a key piece as the club regroups after missing the playoffs

‘Quakes general manager John Doyle said Busch is coming off an “MVP season. He kept us in games all the time. He was terrific.”

“I was very happy and wanted to do it,” Busch said of re-signing. “The first thing we talked about in November, at the end of the season, was getting it done. I wanted to be here. I believe in what John and (coach) Frank (Yallop) are doing here.”

The Earthquakes on Thursday also signed forward Sercan Guvenisik, pending receipt of his P-1 visa. Terms of his deal were also not disclosed.

“We had him on trial last year and followed him ever since,” said Yallop. “He’s an intelligent, experienced player who should help with the depth on our squad.”

Guvenisik, 31, a German-born Turkish striker, comes to Major League Soccer from SC Preussen Muenster of the Bundesliga 3. He scored 14 goals in 56 league matches after returning for his second stint with the club in 2010.

“I am really happy to sign with the San Jose Earthquakes and Major League Soccer,” said Guvenisik. “It has always been my dream to play in the United States.”

(Copyright 2012 CBS San Francisco. All rights reserved.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 55,779 other followers