Illegal Wiring Blamed For Fire At Hayward Marijuana Grow House
HAYWARD (CBS SF) – A fire that caused heavy damage to a Hayward home Thursday afternoon appears to have been caused by illegal wire splicing, a Hayward fire captain said.
The one-alarm fire was reported at 1:35 p.m. at 2225 Beckham Lane. Firefighters had the blaze under control by 1:43 p.m., but not before 70 to 80 percent of the house was lost, Hayward fire Capt. Thor Poulsen said.
Arriving firefighters found thick smoke and flames coming from the roof and attic of the two-story, 3,000-square-foot home.
After the blaze was controlled, firefighters remained on the roof making ventilation cuts to ensure that the fire was completely extinguished, Poulsen said.
He estimated that the fire caused between $150,000 and $250,000 in damage. The fire was caused by illegal wiring that had been spliced, which Poulsen said is usually done to steal electricity.
Alameda County Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. J.D. Nelson said the electricity theft was to supply power to lights used to grow marijuana plants.
Nelson did not know if any arrests had been made in connection with the alleged marijuana grow.
As of 2 p.m., Poulsen was unsure where the house’s occupants were, but said no one had exited the home during the fire.
(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)