Mountain Lion Kills Leashed Dog Out For Walk In Carmel Valley

CARMEL VALLEY (CBS SF) – A Monterey County woman who came face to face with a mountain lion and watched as the animal killed her dog is hoping that her tragedy will help others avoid a similar fate.

Patty Small took her dog Buster—an 18-pound Dachshund-Chihuahua mix—into her front yard in Carmel Valley shortly before midnight on Sunday.

The dog was on a leash and standing less than 3 feet away from its owner when a mountain lion seemed to appear from out of nowhere and attacked, Small said.

“He had my dog’s head in his mouth,” she said.

Out of instinct, Small said she reached out to grab Buster but the mountain lion swatted at her and ran away.

“My face was literally within 2 feet of this mountain lion’s face,” she said. “I’m lucky I didn’t get struck.”

Small said representatives from the California Department of Fish and Game responded to her home and from them she learned about past sightings in the area.

According to Small, a mountain lion had been spotted in the same area, near Carmel Valley Village, in broad daylight about a month before.

She said that if she’d heard about past sightings she would have been more vigilant and hopes that by spreading the word, others will avoid a similar attack.

“I’m heartbroken,” she said. “I feel terrible that I couldn’t save my dog.”

From here on out, Small says she will be more vigilant and aware of her surroundings and is hoping others will do the same.

Information regarding mountain lions and tips on protecting pets can be found at www.dfg.ca.gov/keepmewild/lion.html.

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Comments

1. gerbil says:

It must have been a rescue.

2. Gary says:

Reinstate Mountsin Lion hunting and there would be less of this happening.
    Never should have stopped it.

1. Richard Q. says:

I agree, Gary. The state and local government idiots are so busy slapping themselves on the back and planning their next “training conference” that they
      have lost all common sense in how they approach their jobs.

1. Jennifer says:

You guys are brilliant. I vote you for President! I have had to shoot two of these things in the last 18 months (they surplus killed all my goats in one night). There are too many of them but the lion huggers are claiming there aren’t enough because then their jobs are safe (they get paid to track them with collars, etc). Jennifer

3. Nona says:

Law or no law. I would hunt that cat down myself and shoot it! In a heartbeat!

4. Michael Baum says:

A tightly regulated hunt-as determined by the professionals in the Dept. of Fish & Game-rather than the whims of the voters-would seem to be in order.

1. Richard Q. says:

You have it backwards, I think. Its the dirty government bureaucrats who have convinced people like you that they know what is best for us. I don’t buy their thinking. Shoulder patches and a little toy badge given to some GED educated bureaucrat does not make him intelligent.

1. Michael B. says:

No Richard-YOU have it backwards ! The voters of CA-the same idiots who brought you 3 strikes and Prop13- are ones who voted to CONSTITUTIONALLY BAN Mountain Lion hunting, by proposition 117 in 1990 thereby tying the hands of the TRAINED, DEDICATED EDUCATED (usually a masters or even a doctorate) wildlife management professionals ! (you know, the the ones you call “bureaucrats”) Ask anyone who works in the field-they’ll be the first ones to to acknowledge that Mountain lion hunting should be reinstated but that power has been taken out of their hands !

5. Karen says:

To Patty Small

Please pay no attention to the cruel comments that have been posted; they are just reflections of the writers’ ignorance.

I will be thinking of you tonight when I take my dogs out. I misplaced their leash a couple of days ago and have been taking them out with a flashlight to relieve themselves at night. I do not live in Carmel Valley, but we do have raccoons come into our yard occasionally. I assure you they will have their leash tonight and for the rest of their lives, even if I have to buy a new one. I have two Chihuahuas and a Dachshund, and your making a point to remind us of the importance of being vigilant of all wildlife with these small pets will help save many others from such a sad fate, including my own. Buster would want you to make this known. I think you are going through guilt which you don’t deserve as you had your dog on a leash, and, as you put it, the mountain lion came from out of nowhere. It was a tragic event that you couldn’t have prevented. You tried your best to protect him, and you have done all you could to alert other pet owners to the situation. Remind yourself that you have probably saved many other pets’ lives in doing so. Buster would want you to remember the good times you had together, of which I am sure you had many. May you give a home someday to another pet that is waiting to be loved. Buster would be honored if you did so as it would be reflecting all the joy he brought to you. So many pets out there are waiting for this chance. Buster was so lucky to have had you in his life. My heart goes out to you.

6. Karen says:

To Patty Small

Pay no attention to the cruel comments that have been posted; they are just reflections of the writers’ ignorance.

1. SenorChico says:

I can’t wait until the mountain lion eats some socialist vegan’s kid…

1. wyatt says:

FYI: mountain lions aren’t rational or logic. disney did a number on YOU!
        and i SURE HOPE YOU haven’t pro created. i would be ashamed if my parent suggested a mountain lion eating anyone’s off spring, especially with a stigma attached to the sad remark. you may need therapy for some unmet childhood or adult needs.

this is about a woman and her dog and a situation that occurred due to urban sprawl, and millions of californians CHOOSING to live in cougar country or walking in it.

here’s a more clearer perspective on how to live amongst one of the most magnificent predators in our golden state:

best to you and your healing.

7. Mark H says:

We have to reinstate Mountain hunting-not because Buster, but because they are dangerous predator and no one see the amount damage the cats cause on livestock. The ignorant folks who asked for the resignation of the DFG Commissioner for LAWFULLY killing a Mountain Lion need to wake up. These are the same people who advocate developing in the urban interface. Next time it will be little “Bobby” and not a pet. The primary diet of a Mountain Lion is deer. Certainly this cat was not looking for a snack when he/she could have had their pick of the numerous deer in the Carmel Valley. I am just sorry Buster had to fall prey.

1. wyatt says:

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.
      Charles Darwin

in other words, it is erroneous to consider bullets to resolve our current california mountain lion issue. one may consider re-introducing hunting of these beautiful creatures a cheap and perhaps even a money making opportunity for our indebted state. however, destroying an important element of our wildlife’s food chain is an irreversible way to destroy one of the most vital resources to control our california deer population, amongst other predatory wildlife, including the hundreds of thousands of wild coyotes.

the truth is, plenty of california’s predatory wildlife are slaughtered by unlawful folks illegally (without obtaining a permit) and/or trapped for game and sport. other cats are killed by car injuries, or die due to ingesting poisons and lastly, natural means.

a bullet may cost cents on a dollar, but like the saying goes; you get what you pay for.

8. Steve W. says:

sounds like this mountain lion had it out for this dog. maybe it barked too much

9. tn says:

“Hot dog!” said the Republican mountain lion. “Free range!” said the Democrat mountain lion. “Taste like chicken!” said the Liberal mountain lion.

1. tn says:

I apologize for the tasteless comments above…

10. jane says:

cats of all types will kill if they see what to them is prey, if this was alaska it could have been a polar bear & he would have the woman & the dog.

11. jane says:

to patty, I do feel for u not being able to stop a mountain lion killing ur very much loved dog. Trust in the Lord: and always remember there are things capable of causing u grief.

12. anonymous says:

I just heard what sounded like a mountain lion or wildcat killing a dog out my window. It’s almost 2am and could hear it somewhere in my residential neighbor hood, but its dark so couldn’t see it. It only lasted maybe 1-2 min. I Googled to see if I could get a recording of the sound and found this. Scary.

13. Jennifer says:

No, she is not one of “them”. I just spoke to her on the phone (no joke) and she is a very reasonable person. I feel very badly for her.

14. wyatt says:

okay, sure, let’s slaughter the concolors. then we’ll also have to hunt our deer population, and our coyotes, too. let’s just kill all wildlife, shall we? the predatory food chain will just move down the ladder, cougars will be replaced by coyotes, the coyotes will overpopulate, and so will our deer. soon, we won’t have ANY wildlife in our golden state & our eco system will become distorted to the point our human children will become primary targets for hungry wildlife. they call it an eco system for a reason, killers of freedom who posted above.

as for the woman and her dog on leash, i’m so sorry this happened. we recently had an encounter in broad daylight with a coyote while walking on leash on a paved road, and thankfully we walked away without being injured. our dog is over 100 lbs. it doesn’t just happen to lap dogs…and yes, we reported our incident to our local fish & game officer, for AWARENESS — not with the intention of destroying the/a coyote.

here’s an educational pamphlet for the un-humbled humans who want to eliminate one of the most important aspects of our eco system in california:

remember, charles darwin suggested that the most ‘evolved’ shall survive. It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin