Diversion Efforts Save Santa Cruz Boardwalk From Floodwaters
SANTA CRUZ (KCBS) – The San Lorenzo River has been shifted away from the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and no longer threatens to flood the historic amusement park, officials said Wednesday.
Crews have been building a sand berm along Main Beach to redirect the San Lorenzo, after more than ten inches of rain last week caused it to swell and sent it on a path alongside the Boardwalk.
KCBS’ Matt Bigler Reports:
On Tuesday, the river was finally put back on a path towards the ocean, but bulldozers were still out Wednesday strengthening the berm because of additional rain forecast this weekend.
“So far there hasn’t been significant damage, and we hope it stays that way,” said Marq Lipton, vice president of marketing at Santa Cruz Seaside Company, which owns the Boardwalk.
Lipton said rides at the Boardwalk would be open this weekend, weather permitting.
Seaside, city officials and the California Coastal Commission are working on a long-term plan for better containment of the meandering river so that it does not threaten to flood the 105-year-old park during heavy storms in the future.
(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)