kpix-7-2013-masthead kcbs 7-2013-masthead

Local

Double Amputee Vietnam Vet Injured In Hayward Arson Fire

View Comments
(CBS)

(CBS)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

HAYWARD (CBS SF) – A double amputee was hospitalized after a fire at a home in unincorporated Hayward Thursday night that is being treated as an arson case, an Alameda County deputy fire chief said Friday.

The one-alarm fire was reported at about 9:40 p.m. at a house in the 100 block of Blossom Way, Deputy Chief Dave Rocha said.

Firefighters responded and saw the porch area of the home on fire, as well as flames that had extended into the living area of the home, Rocha said.

Two occupants of the home had jumped out of windows to escape the blaze while the double amputee, a Vietnam War veteran, was rescued by firefighters, according to Rocha.

The man was taken to a hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, he said.

Firefighters extinguished the fire within about 10 minutes and later learned that the blaze was likely set on purpose, Rocha said.

Witnesses reported seeing someone throw something on the house’s porch that ignited, then saw the suspect run away, according to Rocha.

Alameda County sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. J.D. Nelson confirmed Friday morning that the case was being treated as arson.

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus