SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — A San Jose apartment complex was evacuated early Friday morning after a vehicle collision caused a gas leak, fire officials said.
The collision was reported at 1:35 a.m. after a vehicle hit a gas main at Grove Meadow Apartments at 510 Brannam Lane East, a fire dispatcher said.
Residents told the fire department that they could hear gas escaping and there was a strong odor in the area.
The residents began evacuating, and when police and firefighters arrived the rest of the complex was evacuated.
PG&E responded and shut off the gas at 4:22 a.m.
One resident was taken to a hospital by ambulance because they were feeling ill from the gas odor, fire officials said.
Firefighters remained on the scene Friday morning.
(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)