Ammonia Leak Prompts Evacuation Of Newark Baking Company
NEWARK (CBS SF) — An ammonia leak briefly caused the evacuation of a baking company in Newark Saturday morning, an Alameda County fire battalion chief said.
The leak was reported at about 5:15 a.m. at the FullBloom Baking Company, located at 6500 Overlake Place.
Employees there smelled ammonia and left the building. Two employees were treated at the scene for irritation and released, Fire Battalion Chief Tony Connell said.
The county’s hazardous materials team responded and determined the leak was from a refrigeration machine that was set for repair Saturday, Connell said.
By around 7 a.m., hazmat crews determined there was only a residual amount of the ammonia left and declared the business safe, according to Connell.
(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)