kpix-7-2013-masthead kcbs 7-2013-masthead

Local

Petaluma Firefighters Put Out Blaze At Marijuana Grow House

View Comments
Marijuana leaves (AP Graphic)

(AP)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up

PETALUMA (CBS SF) — Firefighters discovered about 100 marijuana plants in a Petaluma home while putting out a fire there early Saturday morning, Petaluma fire officials said.

Fire crews responded to the blaze at 1525 Yarberry Dr. at 5:48 a.m. Saturday to find smoke and fire coming from the corner of the garage where the utilities enter the house, fire officials said.

Firefighters tore down the garage door to access the area but had to wait for PG&E due to the fire’s proximity to an electrical panel.

The damage to the electrical service was severe enough that PG&E had to go out into the street to secure the power.

Fire officials determined the cause of the fire was due to the occupants splicing into the electrical service to the house prior to reaching the meter. This was done to support a marijuana grow located in the garage and an upstairs bedroom, according to the fire department.

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed)

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 53,923 other followers