Raiders’ Heyward-Bey Pleads No Contest To Misdemeanor DUI
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF) – Oakland Raiders wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey pleaded no contest Monday to a misdemeanor DUI charge in connection with his arrest on the Bay Bridge in April.
Heyward-Bey, 25, was pulled over at about 2 a.m. on April 7 on the lower deck of the bridge on his way back to the East Bay from a nightclub in San Francisco, his attorney Ivan Golde said.
He agreed to plead no contest in San Francisco Superior Court to the misdemeanor charge Monday morning in exchange for a sentence of three years’ probation, three months of DUI classes and various fines and fees.
Heyward-Bey had been pulled over after allegedly weaving and driving slightly above the speed limit in his 2012 Range Rover, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Prosecutors said a chemical test conducted at the scene found his blood-alcohol content was .13 percent, and a Breathalyzer test taken about an hour later found his BAC was still .12.
Golde had previously said there were “serious issues” with the case, but told Judge Samuel Feng Monday that seeking a trial on the charges would distract from with the Raiders’ upcoming season and “would be an undue hardship” on his client.
Heyward-Bey “wants to put this behind him,” Golde said.
Raiders players were scheduled to start reporting for the team’s preseason training camp this Sunday in Napa.
Heyward-Bey was Oakland’s top receiver last season, leading the Raiders with 64 receptions and 965 receiving yards, both career highs.
(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco and Bay City News Service. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)