Giants Suspend Contract Talks With Cabrera
SAN FRANCISCO (CBS) — The San Francisco Giants made a brief try to extend sudden outfield star Melky Cabrera with a new contract a few weeks ago, but the sides have agreed to put finances aside until after season, when he is due to become a free agent, sources said.
Cabrera, the All-Star game MVP, is having a career year. He is leading the National League with 152 hits and 78 runs, and he’s batting .353 with 11 home runs and 56 RBI.
The Giants are believed to have suggested a three-year deal along the lines of Carlos Quentin’s new $27-million, three-year contract, though no official offer was made. Talks will resume after the year.
“We had very brief conceptual discussions about a contract,” San Francisco vice president of baseball operations Bobby Evans said Wednesday, “but we agreed to table the talks until the end of the season.”
It was a short conversation, as Cabrera can’t dislike testing the waters following a year that seems otherworldly. He had a very nice season with the Royals last year but has stepped up his game from there since the trade to San Francisco for lefthanded pitcher Jonathan Sanchez, who was a bust with the Royals.
The Giants helped their outfield situation by acquiring Hunter Pence in a deadline-day trade, and Pence isn’t eligible for free agency until afte the 2013 season. They actually acquired Cabrera, Angels Pagan and Gregor Blanco all before the 2012 season.
The price for corner outfielders rose with the $126-million, seven-year deal for Jayson Werth. Quentin has been hamapered by injuries each of the past few years and wanted to stay with his hometown Padres.
(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)