Suspect In Monterey County Double Homicide, Kidnapping Released

SALINAS (CBS/AP) — The man considered a suspect in a Northern California double homicide and what authorities had believed was the kidnapping of a teenage girl has been released from jail.

Juan Manuel Salazar Jr., who had been booked on suspicion of two counts of murder, one count of kidnapping and other charges, was released from custody Thursday night.

Monterey County Managing Deputy District Attorney Chuck Olvis said Salazar has not been charged in the case.

OIvis declined to provide additional details, but said sheriff’s officials are still investigating.

Investigators had initially believed that 16-year-old Eunice Serrato had been kidnapped after a double homicide in San Ardo on July 28.

Authorities had issued an Amber Alert as they searched for the girl, but Salazar and Serrato turned themselves into authorities near the Mexican border on Aug. 4.

(Copyright 2012 by CBS San Francisco. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

blog comments powered by Disqus
Guide To The Holidays
Shine A Light On The Holiday Season With ‘Giving Tuesday’

Listen Live